At 11:51 PM -0500 01/25/2006, Guy wrote:

I wrote a couple weeks ago about the issue of transferring files from a 7100/66 running system 8.1 to an ibook G4 running 10.4. The majority opinion was to go with a network connection between the two computers, using an ethernet cable and an adapter for the AAUI jack on the 7100.

:(

Not surprisingly, it didn't work at first anyway. Under OS 8.1 a small box appears saying "File sharing could not be enabled" when I tried to turn on file sharing from the control panel.

You cannot turn on File Sharing until AppleTalk is running.

You cannot get AppleTalk running on OS 7/8/9 until the ethernet is "live" - connected to another "live" Mac or a hub that supplies electrical continuity.

Laptops are smarter tho - they understand that connections come and go. So start AppleTalk there FIRST. Then hook it up to the other Mac and boot it.

Under a newly installed version of OS 7.1.2, I could actually get the 7100 to show up on the network of the ibook, but when I hit the "connect" button, it returned a message saying "Connection failed This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."

Any ideas what is going on?

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) does not support AFP/AT - Apple Filing Protocol (file sharing) over AppleTalk. It only supports AFP/IP (file sharing over IP).

Mac OS 8.1 only supports AFP/AT.  It does not support AFP/IP.

The computers "see" each other because Tiger still supports the other AppleTalk services (printer, etc). But they cannot open an AFP connection because of the above.

The updated network browser on the older Mac supports AFP/IP, so it should let you connect TO the iBook.

- Dan.

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal