I'm not convinced that I recall not being convinced ... :)

Essentially I changed the order of lock acquire/release so that the
canlock() loop in proc.c:/^postnote could be eliminated.  Not significant
for performance, but it seemed more elegant and I think it also avoided
looking at any shared data outside code regions protected by a lock.

This was many years ago (when my now-white beard was still merely grey).
Not worth going back to reconstruct the arguments, but I'll send Giacomo
and Nemo a copy of my proc.c to examine for themselves.