On 22 Jun 2002, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     laurie> Why does transposition need to understand the mode?
>
> Currently, the abc2midi transposer only understands the key
> signature.  So if I have a piece in D dorian, and I transpose it up 3
> half notes, the transposed output is in Ab.  It should be in F dorian.

And even worse: most (all?) guitar-chords with a black-key root is
translated into sharp rooted version:

X:1
T:test
M:4/4
L:1/4
C:Atte
K:C
"C"CDEF | "Bb7"GFED | "Ab7"C4 | "G7"z4

Becomes this after "abc2abc org.abc -t 2" (the A#7 should have been Bb7):

X: 1
T:test
M:4/4
L:1/4
C:Atte
K:D
"D"DEFG | "C7"AGFE | "A#7"D4 | "A7"z4

although "abc2abc org.abc -t 5" is ok:

X: 1
T:test
M:4/4
L:1/4
C:Atte
K:F
"F"FGAB | "Eb7"cBAG | "Db7"F4 | "C7"z4

Maybe it's because my harmonies are more chromatic than my melodies, but I
fell the most transposition hickups by abc2abc is in the guitar-chords...
--
love, peace & harmony
Atte