I. Oppenheim writes:
| These two concepts seem to be mutually exclusive,
| so I wonder which of these two concepts should be
| endorsed by the standard?
|
| BarFly seems to follow concept 2. Are there any
| ABC applications that follow concept 1?

Well, I recently typed up a transcription of the following,
for  which I've stripped out all but the first bar of music
in each section.  Note that the P:  lines are just used  to
give the conventional classical tempo terms.

This nesting of V inside P seems to work fine with abcm2ps,
and with my jcabc2ps clone, so the original abc2ps probably
accepts this, too.  I determined  experimentally  that  the
only  way  to get the movements to start on a new staff was
by using the "T: II" line.

This does seem like the natural and intuitive way to  write
works like this.  (And yes, the original key was G, for two
transverse flutes.  Or maybe it was in G for viola da gamba
and cembalo. But my best edition was for two recorders.)

X: 1
T: Sonata in Bb
T: f\"ur 2 Alt-Blockfl\"oten und Basso Continuo
T: BWV 1039
C: J.S.Bach (1685-1750)
M: 12/8
L: 1/16