Giovanni Ferro Luzzi writes:

| I am quite a new user of ABC, and would like to ask if it is
| possible to use jazz notation for chords symbols (with no notes),
| as follows:
|
| A7     Edim7     G-7   D alt.
| __________________________
| __________________________
| __________________________
| __________________________
| __________________________
|
| so that the chords appear in boldface above the staff (or in the
| middle of it), but nothing else in the staff.

Chords have to be attached to notes or rests, but a lot  of
abc  software  has  long  accepted 'x' as a rest ('z') that
isn't drawn.  This is  useful  for  producing  uncluttered,
blank staff space. It also works with some abc software for
what you want.  I tried the following "tune"  with  abc2ps,
and it worked fine:

X: 1
T: TEST: Chords Only
K: C
| "Dm"x2 "Gm"x2 | "A7"x2 "Dm"x2 |

This gave me a staff with the chords  evenly  spaced  above
the  staff,  but  nothing on the staff except the three bar
lines.

I don't know how many other abc programs will accept this.

Many programs, including abc2ps and its  clones,  also  use
'y'  for  an invisible spacer that is like a rest but isn't
played.  That is, to a music formatter like abc2ps, x and y
are synonyms. They give a horizontal space in the music but
don't draw anything. But to a music player like abc2midi, x
would  produce  a gap in the music while y would be totally
ignored.  I tried y's in the above example,  too,  and  the
output was identical.

I should run a test like this through abc2midi, and see  if
I get an accompaniment track out of it.