Hi everybody!

For those who would like to have the AHCI option in the bios enabled (for parallel Vista for example) rather than "IDE mode":

I found out that it is also possible to use the libata option "force=noncq". It may be implemented under Debian (and Ubuntu perhaps too, I don't have it so please verify) by adding the line

libata force=noncq

to the file "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" and then doing a "update-initramfs -u". Further more I created a new file "options.conf" in the directory "/etc/modprobe.d" with the line

options libata force=noncq

in it and then rebooted. My linux then booted without the mysterious SATA errors in AHCI mode. I have a Hitachi Disk HTS545032B9A300 in my 3810T.

I don't know which option is better "libata noacpi=1" or "libata force=noncq". Found the clue for disabling NCQ on a website: http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0706.1/0237.html .Probably not all hard disk drives support the NCQ (Native command queuing, see Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_command_queuing). If someone knows more, thanks for telling me.

Remark: For adding the kernel boot parameters it did not work for me to just add "libata.force=noncq" or "libata.noacpi=1" to the grub parameters. It did not recognize the option and ignored it. This is why I did the "more complicated" way described above, works also if you prefer using the noacpi=1 variant.

Best regards
Alex