I was using MySQL 4.1 for Mac OS X (Intel), the prebuilt installer from MySQL's web site, and MySQLdb 1.2.1c7. The compatibility isn't as scary as it sounds.

And oddly enough, I have just rebuilt MySQLdb yet again (doing nothing different, as far as I can tell) and it seems to be working with ActivePython 2.4 now.

I ought to try and recreate the non-working version (I didn't have any problems creating a non-working version before, and I'm a bit afraid to try and actively break things now), but the main things I can point to are:

* the MySQL install doesn't add /usr/local/mysql/bin to the PATH, which can cause issues for other things expecting MySQL to be there * ActivePython's install doesn't add /usr/local/bin to the PATH, and if it's not in your PATH before /usr/bin, then things looking for the default install of Python get confused

although neither of these things explain the error message, which indicates that _mysql.so is in the right place, and that the right version of Python is being used.