When I upgraded to rails 2.3 I could no longer use embedded scaffolds. After
much googling I followed the advice on the mailing lists and installed the
render_component plugin from lacklac using

script/plugin install --force
git://github.com/lackac/render_component.git-r rails-edge

Unfortunately that broke flash and none of my flash messages worked anymore.

After looking at the forks from that I installed

script/plugin install --force git://
github.com/robrasmussen/render_component.git

And now my flashes are back but I don't know if anything else is broken.

This is a pretty sorry state of affairs. I am using somebodies fork of
somebodies fork of the official plug in  in order to get active scaffold to
work because AS uses a call that has been deprecated for a long time and now
finally removed from the framework altogether.

I am posting this here in the hopes that it saves somebody else the hours of
digging I had to go through.

Is AS ever going to remove the dependency on render_component? I certainly
don't envision a future where these people will maintain the plugins.