WELCOME TO IWPR'S AFGHAN RECOVERY REPORT, No. 276, December 6, 2007

INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE Q&A:

FOREIGN TROOPS ACCUSED IN HELMAND RAID MASSACRE  Residents of a southern
village tell of a night of violence at the hands of foreign and Afghan
soldiers.  By Matiullah Minapal and Aziz Ahmad Tassal in Lashkar Gah

IWPR REPORTER UNDER ATTACK IN AFGHAN NORTH  Journalist Sayed Yaqub Ibrahimi
says his brother Parwez has been jailed and threatened with death because of
his own reporting on human rights violations in the north.  By Jean MacKenzie
in Kabul

KORAN TRANSLATION PROVOKES CONTROVERSY  Demonstrators call for the death of
those behind a new, unorthodox translation of the Koran.  By Hafizullah Gardesh
in Kabul

AFGHAN RECOVERY REPORT:

SECURITY FIRMS IN AFGHANISTAN: PART OF THE PROBLEM?  Private security companies
are contributing to the rising tide of lawlessness, according to both Afghan
and international experts.  By Sayed Yaqub Ibrahimi in Mazar-e-Sharif and Kabul

AFGHANISTAN’S CREAKING COURT SYSTEM  Most Afghans prefer the traditional,
tribal system of justice to state courts, according to a new report.  By
Wahidullah Amani in Kabul

HELMAND RESIDENTS TURN ON THE LIGHTS  Tired of waiting for the government to
help them, some Helmand residents are making their own electricity.  By
Zainullah Stanekzai in Helmand

**** IWPR RESOURCES ****************************************************

NEW PUBLICATION: SYRIA PRESS MONITOR. Weekly round-up of news and opinion from
the Syrian national and diaspora press. To find out more or subscribe to RSS
feed please go to: http://iwpr.net/syriapressmonitor.html

HELMAND VOICES: An IWPR training project in Helmand is helping local reporters
produce groundbreaking radio stories on subjects that matter to their
communities, often in parts of the province where no international journalist
can go. Please visit:  http://www.iwpr.net/helmandvoices.html

SAHAR JOURNALISTS’ ASSISTANCE FUND: IWPR is establishing a fund, in honour of
Sahar al-Haideri, to support journalist participants in its training and
reporting programmes around the world.  The Sahar Journalists’ Assistance Fund
will be used to support local journalists in cases of exile or disability, or
to assist their families in case of death in service. To find out more or
donate please go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/sahar.html

AFGHAN BLOG: A weekly peek into the cultural, political and social landscape of
Afghanistan. By Jean MacKenzie, Country Director for IWPR in Afghanistan. Visit
at http://iwpr.net/afghanblog.html

**** www.iwpr.net
electronic publications at:
http://www.iwpr.net/index.php?apc_state=henh&s=s&m=p

GIVE TO IWPR: IWPR is wholly dependent upon grants and donations. For more
information about how you can support IWPR go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/donate.html

**** www.iwpr.net

INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE Q&A:

FOREIGN TROOPS ACCUSED IN HELMAND RAID MASSACRE

Residents of a southern village tell of a night of violence at the hands of
foreign and Afghan soldiers.

By Matiullah Minapal and Aziz Ahmad Tassal in Lashkar Gah

A young man lies in bed in the Emergency Hospital in Lashkar Gah. His throat is
bandaged, and he can barely speak. Holding his hand to his wound, he is clearly
in pain as he tells of his ordeal in a whisper, interjecting over and over
again, “My two brothers! My two brothers!”

The man’s name is Abdul Manaan, but locals call him “Naanwai”, “the baker”, as
he has a bread shop in Lakari, about two kilometres from the village of Toube
in the southern Garmseer district of Helmand province.

Abdul Manaan suffered slashes to his neck during a nighttime raid by a mixed
force of foreign and Afghan troops helicoptered into Toube on November 18.
Eyewitnesses say the soldiers killed 18 civilians in an attack that was brutal
even by the standards of the Afghan conflict.

Although the raid happened three weeks ago, there has been no news or comment
about it outside Helmand.

“It was about two in the morning when we heard the aircraft, and I woke up,”
said Abdul Manaan. “I looked out but I couldn’t see anything. My two younger
brothers who were in another room came to me to ask what was going on, but I
told them, ‘Nothing, just go back to sleep’. They went back to bed, as did I.

“Then I heard a noise on the roof, and I looked out and there were armed men up
there. They climbed down and came into my brothers’ room, and asked them if
they were Taleban. One of my brothers said ‘No, we are shopkeepers, come and
search the house. We have nothing, no guns or anything’. The soldiers shot him
on the spot. My other brother they brought to me, and tied his hands. Then they
slit his throat. I could hear him gurgling. He was still making a noise when
they got to me.

“One of the soldiers spoke a little Pashto - he asked whether we were Taleban
and I said no, we were shopkeepers. They made me stand up against the wall and
tied my hands. They put the knife to my neck and cut me three times. Then they
threw an old tarpaulin over me and left.

“But I wasn’t dead.”

As Abdul Manaan lay under the tarpaulin holding his hand to his neck wound, he
heard the soldiers moving around the house and children screaming.

When the soldiers left after about half an hour, he said, “I got up and went to
my brother. He was cold.”

He found the women and children alive in another room, together with some who
had come from other houses. “Everyone was screaming and crying,” he said.

In the morning, Abdul Manaan was taken to hospital in Lashkar Gah.

“I survived, but my brothers are dead,” he said. “What shall I do now?”

Residents of Helmand province have grown used to aerial strikes over the past
several months. As the Taleban and foreign forces battle for control of the
province, civilians are often caught in the middle.

The international troops accuse the Taleban of using women and children as
“human shields”, while the insurgents and increasingly also the Afghan
government condemn the foreign forces for reckless disregard for human life.

But what happened in Toube was quite different from the more detached, if
horrific, bombing that has destroyed homes and families.

Abdul Manaan’s story is echoed by dozens of villagers from Toube whom IWPR as
they underwent treatment in Lashkar Gah or accompanied injured relatives there.

All spoke consistently of soldiers breaking down doors, shooting children and
cutting throats. They agreed that the raid began at two in the morning with the
sound of helicopters bringing in dozens of armed men, both Afghan and foreign.

One man called Nabi Jan told IWPR, “At two in the morning on Sunday, foreign
troops entered my house and shot my children in their cradles. I collected
their scattered brains with my own hands and placed them near the bodies.

“They killed 18 people that night. I swear none of them were Taleban fighters,”
he said, his anger making his voice rise in tone. “They killed civilians -
people like me - with rough farmers’ hands. If you don’t believe me, then come
with me to the cemetery. I will dig up the bodies to show you.”

According to Nabi Jan, the soldiers left at about five in the morning, when it
was still dark. He and what is left of his family are now camped out by the
river, in the winter cold, afraid to go home.

Borjan, a neighbour waiting in front of the Emergency Hospital in Lashkar Gah,
confirmed the story.

“I was a witness,” he said. “Soldiers came into our houses. They shot everyone
they could find, including people asleep in bed. In one house, babies were shot
in their cradles. Three people had their throats cut, but one survived, and he
is now in this hospital.”

According to Borjan, the death toll was 17.

“Two of my cousins were killed in this attack,” said another man waiting
outside the hospital, Noor Mohammad.

“It was nighttime and we heard aircraft. Soldiers came to our house. We hid and
did not open the door, so they broke it down. When they entered the house, they
began firing, and they killed four people. They were foreign and Afghan army
troops. When they left, they gunned down anyone they could find.”

Garmseer lies about 70 km south of Lashkar Gah, on the border with Pakistan.
The remoteness of its location and the porous nature of the frontier have
ensured that this is one of the most unstable districts in an extremely
troubled province.

The Taleban control most of the district except for a few government-held
administrative centres, and clashes between the insurgents and the army are
frequent.

Still, the stories about what happened in Toube are exceptional, and the news
spread quickly across Helmand by word of mouth, inflaming the mood. On November
20, a group of nearly 100 elders from the district came to Lashkar Gah to speak
with government representatives at the offices of the Afghan National Security
Directorate.

The emotionally charged meeting was attended by representatives of the
Provincial Reconstruction Team, the joint military and civilian force tasked
with providing security and rebuilding Helmand, operating under the mandate of
NATO’s International Security Assistance Force, ISAF.

The elders demanded that foreign forces stay out of Garmseer and asked for
military operations there to end.

“We hate the government and NATO because they kill our women and elders,” said
one of the delegation, Khan Agha. “They won’t let us get on with our lives;
they slaughter us.”

Khan Agha said he had turned against the Afghan National Army.

“It is bad enough that foreigners do these things, but now the Afghan army is
with them. We are angry that even Afghans show us no sympathy. I used to
cooperate with the army, but now, if I have an opportunity, I will do my best
to hurt them,” he said.

One after another, the elders told their stories, all sounding remarkably
similar.

“My name is Hajji Ali Mohammad,” said one old man, who was so hunched over that
he could barely walk. Tears ran down his face as he spoke. “It was during the
night that armed men entered my house and shot two of my sons. One of them had
just got married a month ago. My sons were not members of the Taleban, they
were farmers. We are poor farmers.”

Mohammad Hussain Andiwal, the police chief for Helmand province, addressed the
gathering at length. He said he would raise the Toube violence with
international forces.

“I can feel your pain,” he told the elders. “Even a heart of stone would melt
with these sorrows. I will speak with the foreigners and make them promise not
to kill civilians again like this.”

According to the PRT, the incident at Toube is still being investigated.

“There was an operation [in Garmseer] about that time,” said one PRT official,
speaking on condition of anonymity. “And we were aware that allegations had
been made. We found no evidence at the time to support these charges, but an
investigation is ongoing.”

It may be difficult to pinpoint blame, assuming the accusations made by Toube
residents are substantiated.

Several military groups operate in Helmand, and not all of them answer to the
British-led ISAF or follow its rules of engagement.

The United States-led Coalition also has soldiers in the province, and US
Special Forces work with and mentor Afghan troops.

PRT officials were unable to comment on who is most likely to have been
involved.

Most Helmand residents do not distinguish between British, American, Canadian,
or Danish soldiers, using the term “foreigner” for all.

Helmand’s police chief cautioned against blaming foreigners for all of the
province’s troubles and called on the assembled elders to reflect on the
terrible events of the past 30 years.

“Any time we have had hopes that our country would be rebuilt, that education
would revive, or that we would have doctors, engineers, hospitals… we get
caught up in disaster. When the Russians were defeated, then commanders came
from our own people and carried out evil acts,” he said, referring to the
internecine strife between Afghan factions in the Nineties.

“Things took place in Kabul that were worse even than what happened with the
Russians. Who did these things? Were they British? Were they Dutch? Were they
Americans? No, it was we who did them!”

Andiwal asked for cooperation from the elders in trying to resolve the problems.

“If you do not want things to improve, then two years from now there will be
nothing left,” said Andiwal. “Let us come to your villages, and we will listen
to you and work with you.”

At this, an old man in the corner rose slowly to his feet. He leaned on a cane,
shaking as he spoke.

“So this is our fault?” he said. “You, the government, cannot maintain
security. You have closed our schools. Many countries have come here, and they
cannot do anything. So how can we?”

Matiullah Minapal and Aziz Ahmad Tassal are IWPR staff reporters in Lashkar Gah.

IWPR REPORTER UNDER ATTACK IN AFGHAN NORTH

Journalist Sayed Yaqub Ibrahimi says his brother Parwez has been jailed and
threatened with death because of his own reporting on human rights violations
in the north.

By Jean MacKenzie in Kabul

A leading journalist in northern Afghanistan says his brother has been
imprisoned on false charges as a way of pressuring him not to write articles
critical of local officials and strongmen.

Sayed Yaqub Ibrahimi has come under mounting pressure himself, with security
service officers visiting his home and anonymous phone calls threatening his
life.

His brother, Sayed Parwez Kaambakhsh, has been in prison since October 27 on
charges of writing and distributing anti-Islamic literature, which he denies
have any foundation.

An Afghan journalists’ rights union has condemned a decision to have Parwez’s
case heard by clerics rather than in the conventional judicial system. A
council of Muslim scholars has recommended the death sentence.

For the past four years, Yaqub has been reporting for IWPR on Afghanistan’s
northern region. During that time, he has consistently covered issues of
extreme sensitivity, such as continuing abuses by strongmen who maintain
paramilitary forces and undermine the rule of law in defiance of the central
government’s disarmament efforts.

In the past two months, he has published several reports which identify
factions and individuals in the north whom local residents accuse of crimes and
brutality.

“The people who are threatening me had nothing official against me,” he
explained. “There was nothing they could use to arrest and imprison me.”

Instead, he says, they targeted his younger brother, who is a journalism
student at Balkh University in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif, and also
reports for the local daily Jahan-e-Naw.

The charges against him are based on a document downloaded in mid-October from
the internet and circulated among students at the university where he is
studying. He says that the name “Sayed Parwez” was added to the document after
it was printed out, and that he had no involvement with it.

Parwez has no previous record of trouble with the authorities.

He was arrested by the state authorities, in the shape of the National
Directorate of Security, NDS, and under normal circumstances, a criminal
offence would have gone to court and a judge would have ruled on the matter.

But instead, the charges against Parwez have been referred to the Shura-ye
Ulema or Council of Religious Scholars for Balkh region, which is recommending
that he be executed by hanging on the grounds of apostasy.

It is unclear what level of evidence the council sought or obtained to
substantiate the charges. Nor is it clear what its death penalty recommendation
means in legal terms.

Yaqub is convinced that his brother has been targeted as part of a growing
pattern of intimidation that he sees as a reaction to his revelations about the
power of certain political and paramilitary factions in the north.

Since Parwez’s arrest, Yaqub has faced harassment from the security services,
who have searched his home and office, accessed his computer files, and tried
to force him to reveal sources on several stories Yaqub has published with IWPR.

Yaqub’s fearless reporting work has meant he is no stranger to controversy, but
his brother’s arrest has marked a clear hardening in pressure placed on him.

“I have repeatedly been threatened during my work with IWPR,” said Yaqub in a
telephone interview from Mazar-e-Sharif. “I write about human rights violations
in the north, and about fighting between various factions. This is my
profession, and I have ignored the threats and gone on with my career.

“But recently the pressure has increased.”

Yaqub has received anonymous death threats over the phone and via the internet.
He has been followed, and security officials have come to his home late in the
evening to ask for him, as a result of which he has gone into hiding.

In one phone call, the voice told him, “We know who you are, we know where you
are and we are going to kill you.”

When NDS officers arrested Parwez, they also sealed Yaqub’s office, which
contained all of his documents and files.

“On October 28 they did a thorough search of my rooms,” said Yaqub. “They
checked my computer. Why would they do that? They also checked my notebooks
which have contact numbers for my sources in the provinces.

“They read copies of all my articles for IWPR, and they wanted to take my
notebooks with them. But I told them, “You have come to find out about
anti-Islamic articles, but my notebook has nothing to do with that.’ I told
them, ‘If you take my notebook I will complain in the media.’ They began to
whisper to each other and then they gave me back my notebook.”

The police did confiscate some articles that Yaqub had downloaded from the
internet about women’s rights, plus “The Story of Civilisation” by Will Durant.

Parwez’s plight has attracted the attention of civil society groups and human
rights activists.

Zia Bomya, chair of the Journalists’ Defence Committee in Kabul, told IWPR his
organisation was following the case closely.

“A number of individuals and circles whose interests are being threatened want
to initiate a conspiracy against Parwez,” he said.

Bomya recommended that formal judicial institutions investigate the roots of
the case.

In his view, the Council of Religious Scholars has no legal standing to rule on
such a matter.

“As long as the constitution and the courts exist in Afghanistan, the
Shura-ye-Ulema is not authorised to pass sentence on anyone,” he said.

“This is clear interference in the affairs of other institutions. Parwez’s case
should be submitted to the [government] commission which assesses media
violations, which can then transfer it to the judicial agencies. Any other
decision on the case is illegal, and we condemn it.”

Farid Hamidi, spokesman for the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission,
agreed that the judiciary and no one else was entitled to pass judgment.

“Our branch in Mazar is following this case,” he said. “All of these things
have to be done in accordance with the law and the constitution. Institutions
like the [lower] courts and the Supreme Court must handle them; it is their
job.”

Nasir, who is also studying journalism at Balkh University, told IWPR that he
understood there was a conspiracy against his fellow-student.

“Parwez is one of the top students in the class, and he is friendly to
everyone. But there are people who harbour some enmity against him. When the
state attorney [prosecutor] came to see us, some people spread negative
propaganda about Parwez, but most of us know the truth.”

Yaqub is convinced that Parwez is the victim of a concerted campaign to silence
him as a journalist.

“Some of my friends, whom I don’t want to name, have told me that a number of
high-ranking officials are involved in this case,” said Yaqub.

“They say that I am trying to defame the north by writing such reports, that I
have started a campaign against commanders in the north and that I must be kept
down.

“They are taking it out on Parwez.”

Yaqub added that the affair has already had an impact on his reporting, “When
all this started, I had to give up writing about certain themes. It was too
dangerous.”

Jean MacKenzie is IWPR programme director in Afghanistan.

KORAN TRANSLATION PROVOKES CONTROVERSY

Demonstrators call for the death of those behind a new, unorthodox translation
of the Koran.

By Hafizullah Gardesh in Kabul

When Ghaus Zalmai, a well-known journalist who was working as spokesperson for
the attorney general’s office, lent his name and reputation to a new version of
the Koran, he may have thought he was performing a service for his fellow
Afghan Muslims.

Instead, the book, “A Fluent Translation of the Holy Koran”, has unleashed a
storm of public rage that has landed its publisher Zalmai in jail, sent the
editor into hiding, and led a council of angry clerics to denounce the book as
the work of an international Zionist conspiracy.

The prosecutor says Zalmai now regrets his action. This could not be confirmed
by IWPR, since the journalist has been held incommunicado on unspecified
charges for over a month.

The book is by no means the first translation of the Koran into Dari. But
normally the Arabic text would be included, with a strict line-by-line
equivalent as a parallel text.

The “Fluent Translation”, on the other hand, purported to be an attempt to
relate Islam’s sacred book in the vernacular.

Critics say that in the process, serious errors were made in rendering the
letter and the spirit of the Koran, and are calling for everyone involved in
its production to be brought to trial. Angry demonstrators in Kabul, Jalalabad,
and other parts of the country have even demanded death for Zalmai and his
“collaborators”.

The book, translated by United States resident Qudratullah Bakhtiarinejad and
edited by Mullah Qari Mushtaq Ahmad, was printed in 6,000 copies and was about
to be distributed. But almost as soon as it was published, it was condemned by
the Ministry for the Hajj and Religious Affairs as well as both houses of
parliament. They demanded that the government confiscate all of the copies.

The attorney general - Zalmai’s boss - issued an arrest warrant. Zalmai was
arrested, reportedly while trying to escape across the border to Pakistan.

Mullah Mushtaq has fled, and is being sought by the police.

The president’s office has set up a commission to assess the book, according to
Maulavi Mohammad Siddiq Muslim, the head of the Supreme Court’s fatwa
department, which issues rulings on religious matters.

He added that as the commission’s finding have not yet been submitted to the
Supreme Court, he could not offer any opinion about the outcome.

But one obvious problem with the book, he said, was the absence of the Arabic
text.

“Any copy of the Koran which is published without the Arabic text cannot be
called the Koran,” he said.

Maulavi Muslim would not speculate about the possible sentence that might be
handed down on the accused, suggesting that it would depend on how important
the errors were found to be. “The punishment will depend on the mistakes that
have been made and the importance of the chapters,” he said.

In addition, tempers were running high against the book and its authors, so the
sentence would also have to take public sentiment into account.

“The accused must be punished in such a way that it becomes a lesson for
others,” he added.

But the cleric stopped short of calling for severe punishment for Zalmai.

“Islam is a religion of peace, brotherhood, security, justice and mercy,” he
said. “One example of this mercy is that if 99 per cent of what a person says
is un-Islamic but one per cent is in line with Islam, he should be judged by
that one per cent.”

General Abdul Fatah, director of the prosecutor’s office of the National
Directorate of Security, could not specify what criminal charge was being
brought against Zalmai.

“The case is still under investigation,” said Fatah. “We cannot say anything
until the case is submitted to the court.”

Fatah did say that the accused “regretted his actions”.

The Minister for the Hajj and Religious Affairs, Niamatullah Shahrani, insists
that the book was part of a broader plot against Islam.

“This is no accident,” Shahrani told a gathering of angry religious scholars
from all over Afghanistan in early November. “The hands of the enemies of Islam
lay behind it. This book… is a conspiracy by international Zionism and other
groups which is designed to eliminate Islam.”

Shahrani said the book was an insult to all Muslims, particularly Afghans, and
appealed to the assembled mullahs not to ignore the conspiracy.

“We demand that the government punish those who were involved in this book,” he
said.

On November 25, Afghanistan’s Academy of Sciences began a conference called
“Scientific Investigation into the Causes and Facets of the Conspiracy to Alter
the Koran”. There were many speakers who offered a range of opinions on various
topics, but they all agreed on one thing - the book was a product of the
enemies of Islam in the West, and Muslims should pay heed.

Dr Sher Ali Zarifi, a member of the Academy of Sciences told IWPR he had
distributed chapters of the book to members of the official commission of
investigation – which he chairs - for them to study.

“In addition to many mistakes in the literal translation, there were also
numerous errors introduced into the meaning of the Holy Koran,” he said.

“First of all, without the Arabic text, no translation can be called the
‘Koran’. The Koran cannot be written in any language but Arabic.”

Arabic is the language that Muslims use in their prayers as well, he pointed
out.

“Whoever knowingly says his prayers in any language other than Arabic is
‘zendiq’” he said, using an Arabic term that translates roughly as “heterodox”.
“If he prays unconsciously in another language, he is just ‘jahel’[ignorant].”

Zarifi, too, believes that the roots of the offence lie outside Afghanistan.

“The contents of this book show that its writers and editors are members of a
religious pluralism movement in the West,” he said.

He pointed to numerous errors of fact, such as one chapter which appears to
enjoin Muslims to read both their own holy books and those of other faiths.

“Muslims are forbidden to read the books of other religions,” he said.

Another problem was the role of the prophets, who in Zarifi’s view do not
receive the respect due to them in the translated text.

The book also allows Muslims to question certain verses of the Koran, he said,
which is strictly prohibited.

“A Muslim is supposed to accept every verse of the Koran,” said Zarifi. “If he
doubts any verse, he becomes an infidel.”

Also, he added, the translation does not mention the penalties for certain
types of sins, such as stoning as a punishment for adultery. “This [omission]
is clearly wrong,” he said.

But Mohammad Hassan Tawhidi, a member of the department of religious
jurisprudence and law at the Academy of Sciences, does not entirely agree with
Zarifi’s criticisms.

“Some of his arguments are correct but others are very, very weak,” he told
IWPR. “It is not a great sin if you make some mistakes in a literal translation
of the Koran. It is impossible, I think, to translate the Holy Book the way it
is supposed to be, since there is no substitute for the language used in the
Koran.”

Tawhidi insisted that the stoning of adulterers is not prescribed in the Koran,
but is instead derived from the Hadiths, the various written collections of
oral traditions relating to the life of the Prophet Mohammad.

Tawhidi also disputed Zarifi’s remarks about disrespecting the prophets.

“Even those scholars who call themselves experts on religious affairs do not
accord the proper respect to all the prophets when they speak on television,”
he said. “Why aren’t they arrested as well?”

One researcher on religious affairs who did not want to be named told IWPR that
the book was not in fact a new translation at all.

“In 1985 an organisation was established in Jordan, with some hired Farsi-
speakers,” he said. “They have a website called efarsi.org which publishes
anti-Islamic materials. Ghaws Zalmai and his colleagues just copied the book
from this website.”

Dari is very close to the Farsi or Persian language.

This version of events is widely believed in some circles, although it has not
been proven.

The researcher said that he did not understand why a good Muslim and well-known
journalist like Zalma became involved in such an affair.

“I think maybe Zalmai wanted to do a good service to the Dari language by
publishing this book, but he did not understand its contents,” he said. “Maybe
he did it to make a name for himself, or for money. In any case, it is
difficult to judge.”

But many people, even those who do not usually follow current events, are doing
just that.

Razia, a university student in Kabul, does not look as if she is a close
follower of Islamic principles. He heavy make-up, shirt and jeans are at odds
with the strict Muslim dress code observed in Afghanistan. Nevertheless, she is
indignant about the translation and its perpetrators.

“I can’t think of anything better for Ghaus Zalmai than that he should be
hanged in the public square. It would be a lesson to others like him,” she said.

But a friend of Zalmai who would not disclose his name said he has known the
journalist since childhood and cannot believe he was ill-intentioned.

“I swear to God that Ghaus Zalmai is a pious Muslim and believes in Islam, and
I think he has become unwittingly involved in this game,” he said.

“Zalmai was unaware of the contents of the book – he’s a journalist, not an
Arabic scholar or a specialist in Islamic matters. I appeal to the government
to give this man real justice.”

Hafizullah Gardesh is IWPR’s local editor in Kabul.

AFGHAN RECOVERY REPORT:

SECURITY FIRMS IN AFGHANISTAN: PART OF THE PROBLEM?

Private security companies are contributing to the rising tide of lawlessness,
according to both Afghan and international experts.

By Sayed Yaqub Ibrahimi in Mazar-e-Sharif and Kabul

Former commanders, ex-special forces, demobilised militias – at times it seems
like the streets of Kabul are crammed full of strongmen looking to capitalise
on their most marketable skill – the ability and readiness to fight.

Many have gravitated towards the new industry of private security firms, which
guard banks, embassies, international organisations, and even some of the
trendier restaurants in the capital.

But the Afghan government is now cracking down on these heavily-armed and often
unlicensed firms, saying that several have been implicated in major crimes
including armed robbery, kidnap and murder.

Some observers worry that the closure of security firms will make a bad
situation even worse. The Afghan police cannot fill the gap, they insist, and
turning thousands of armed and unemployed men loose on the streets will create
an even more unstable environment.

SECURITY FIRM STAFF IMPLICATED IN CRIME

“Over the past few months we have conducted a review and have concluded that
many of the armed robberies and murders have been carried out by members of
these firms,” said Zmarai Bashiri, spokesman for the interior ministry. “The
illegal use and sale of weapons is also common among these companies.”

Several high-profile cases have highlighted the problem. In August, for
example, a British security expert was shot dead while transporting 200,000 US
dollars in cash. Police questioned members of his staff in connection with the
killing.

“We have arrested a number of people connected with the [security] companies;
these people were engaged in murder, kidnapping and armed robbery,” said
Bashiri. “We will deal with them in accordance with the law.”

The interior ministry has already closed down ten private security firms, and
in recent days has conducted raids on several more.

One international company was found to have a large stockpile of illegal
weapons, including 60 Kalashnikov rifles, nine heavy machine guns, and huge
stores of ammunitions.

Various estimates exist on the number of firms in the country. According to
Bashiri, there are currently 60 private security companies in operation,
employing a total of between 18,000 and 25,000 men. The majority are based in
Kabul.

Bashiri explained that there are three categories of security firms being
investigated by the ministry.

“First are those companies that are known to be involved in crime,” he said.
“Then we have those that have not registered with the interior ministry, and
lastly we have those whose licenses have expired. They are all illegal.”

The ministry has begun drafting a new law to regulate security companies, he
said, adding, “The interior and justice ministries are working on this draft
jointly, and it will set out all the required conditions including weapons,
uniforms, duties and responsibilities, plus geographical restrictions.”

Bashiri argues that the security firms are spreading chaos and are just making
things worse.

“They have proved a headache for us,” he said. “We will close them all.”

MILITIAS TRANSFORMED INTO COMMERCIAL OUTFITS

Men with guns are certainly not a new phenomenon in Afghanistan, which has gone
through decades of war and internal strife. Many former militia commanders from
the civil war of the Nineties have gone through one or more of the
generously-funded but notoriously ineffectual disarmament processes, but have
still been able to use stocks of weapons and loyal followers to create
profitable security enterprises, while retaining much of their former power.

Mohammad Nasir, a resident of the Baghlan provincial capital Pul-e-Khumri told
IWPR that a former regional strongman was now “masquerading” as the head of a
security firm.

“The commander has gathered all of his men and given them new uniforms,” said
Nasir. “They may be guarding NGOs [non-government organisations], but the
commander still uses them to demonstrate his power. People still see him as a
commander, he is still armed, and he can do anything he wants.”

This contributes to an atmosphere of tension in Baghlan, he continued.

“When people on the street see this company’s weapons and special vehicles,
they feel frightened. They do not have good memories of these commanders during
the time when they ruled the streets.”

But it may not be so easy to dispense with private security firms and the
service they provide.

Given Afghanistan’s growing instability, many organisations do not feel
comfortable operating without armed protection. The Afghan police cannot
provide enough officers to guard the large number of local and foreign
organisations, and many do not trust the police anyway.

“The police cannot ensure the security of the government, the cities, or the
highways, let alone the thousands of NGOs operating in Afghanistan,” said an
official from a Chinese company building roads in Faryab province. “We have no
guarantee that anyone will be able to protect us if the government shuts down
our security firm.”

LACK OF REGULATION

To date, no security firm in Afghanistan has been implicated in the kind of
controversy that surrounds the US company Blackwater, which is accused of
killing 17 civilians in Iraq.

But, as in Iraq, confusion over rights and responsibilities contributes to a
climate of fear and insecurity.

“Afghans do not know who security companies are and what they are doing in
their country,” said Susanne Schmeidl, co-author of a study on private security
companies issued in mid-November by the Swisspeace research institute. “Many
Afghans are not able to distinguish the private security sector from the
international armed forces, or from their own Afghan National Police and Afghan
army, and general confusion prevails.”

Firms must be more closely regulated, she emphasised, to convince the
population that security firms are doing more than contributing to the crime
problem. And those who argue that security firms provide employment to men who
would otherwise be a danger to the population are just postponing an inevitable
day of reckoning.

“While there is a positive argument to be made that private security company
employment keeps former strongmen and their militia off the streets… the
dilemma of what happens to these militia when the contract ends needs to be
addressed,” said Schmeidl.

COMPANIES SAY THEY PERFORM ESSENTIAL ROLE

Private security firms defend their presence, and insist that they are
providing a valuable service.

Amir Mohammad, an official with RONCO, an international company that provides
demining as well as security services, said the firm has a valid license and
has not been shut down. Still, he opposes the interior ministry’s plan to close
other security companies.

“This is a mistake by the interior ministry,” he told IWPR. “Thousands of
people are employed by these firms, and they could end up on the street. These
firms also pay huge annual taxes, and this will be a financial blow to the
government. Foreign companies cannot rely on the Afghan [state] security
agencies, so if the private firms are closed, no foreigner will invest in
Afghanistan.”

Demining projects run by RONCO and others would be in jeopardy if their
security could not be guaranteed, said Amir Mohammad.

“If the government continues with its plan, demining will stop in Afghanistan,”
he said. “No foreigner will work in certain areas without a bodyguard. We work
in Helmand, Kandahar and Jalalabad, where the police cannot provide security.”

But the interior ministry is determined to close down those firms operating
outside the law.

“It is much better not to have a corrupt body than to have it,” said Bashiri.
“We have found that these organisations are not useful. We have to adopt
another means of licensing them. All of their current operations are illegal
because no working procedure exists.”

CAN POLICE FILL THE GAP?

Bashiri insists that the interior ministry will provide security cover once the
illegal firms are closed.

“We will provide our own forces to ensure security when the firms are shut
down. Charity organisations and business entities will be safe and they won’t
have any complaints,” he said.

But Mohammad Fareed Hakimi, a political affairs analyst in northern
Afghanistan, points to the deteriorating situation across the country, and
expresses doubt that the interior ministry is up to the task of managing the
situation.

“The government has closed these companies, but how can it fill the gap?” he
said. “They cannot increase the number of police to what is required. If the
interior ministry now has to guard banks and NGOs, the security gap will get
even bigger.”

Added to this is the old problem of neutralising the power of former commanders
and their armed militias.

“The government has to solve this problem in a way that will not make things
worse,” said Hakimi. “Many security firms are owned by former commanders and
their men. If these firms are closed, these men will once again gather around
their leaders, and controlling them will be impossible.”

Sayed Yaqub Ibrahimi is an IWPR staff reporter in Mazar-e-Sharif

AFGHANISTAN’S CREAKING COURT SYSTEM

Most Afghans prefer the traditional, tribal system of justice to state courts,
according to a new report.

By Wahidullah Amani in Kabul

The area around the Afghan Supreme Court in Kabul is teeming with people, both
plaintiffs and defendants. Some have spent months, even years waiting for a
resolution to their problems. Many have given bribes; many more have lost cases
on lower courts because, they say, they could not afford to pay the judge.

But one thing unites them all - their anger and dissatisfaction with the Afghan
justice system.

“In our courts, bribery is at such a level that anyone with money can buy a
decision in his favour,” said Mohammad Zaki. “There is no justice.”

Zaki has spent seven months trying to find out what has happened to his wife.
While he was away in Iran working as a labourer, his wife became pregnant by
another man. Zaki is convinced she was raped, and brought a case in a tribal
court against the man he holds responsible.

The elders sitting in judgement ruled that the alleged rapist must pay Zaki the
equivalent of 15,000 US dollars so that he could remarry.

The man accused, however, rejected this decision, and insisted that the case be
brought before a state court. After a judicial hearing, the man was briefly
jailed, but soon bought his way out.

The wife, meanwhile, remains imprisoned, on charges of having sexual relations
outside marriage.

Zaki now has no wife, no money, and no decision on his case.

“I preferred the decision of the elders,” said Zaki. “The accused has money, so
he paid the court and they released him. But I still know nothing about my
wife, or the child.”

Zaki is now making the rounds of the Supreme Court.

“There is no one here who will listen to me,” he complained. “They just send me
from office to office.”

His case illustrates the difficulties of the Afghan justice system, where two
traditions exist in uneasy symmetry, with the population caught in between.

On the one hand is the formal justice system, where written laws are
administered by official courts, in a manner similar to the western legal
tradition.

On the other is the centuries-old tribal system, where councils called “jirgas”
or “shuras” make decisions based on local traditions and mores.

According to a recent report by the Centre for Policy and Human Development at
Kabul University, the state system lags far behind the traditional courts in
terms of public confidence and effectiveness.

In a questionnaire cited by the report, fewer than 20 per cent of Afghans put
the state courts first when asked “Whom do you trust most to resolve any
dispute you might have?” while over 70 per cent said that tribal or community
elders and shuras were their preferred option.

The study condemned the state court system for corruption and ineffectiveness,
saying that problems in the judiciary were jeopardising the entire structure of
state governance.

“Corruption in the judiciary undermines confidence in governance, as it
facilitates corruption across all sectors of government,” read the report.

The Supreme Court reacted swiftly and decisively, summoning several of the
authors to the court for a dressing down.

“This report is an absolute lie,” said Abdul Rashid Rashed, spokesperson for
the Supreme Court. “These people are just against the system. They were
summoned to the Supreme Court and questioned about the accuracy of the report,
and in the end they accepted that their report was not based on truth. And they
apologised.”

According to Rashed, Afghans do trust the courts and use the legal system to
resolve their problems.

“We only have problems in some areas like Khost, Kunar, Paktia and Paktika
provinces,” he told IWPR, referring to Pashtun-dominated areas on Afghanistan’s
southern and eastern fringes. “The rest of Afghanistan goes to the courts, and
respects their decisions.”

Rashed acknowledged that bribery and corruption were an issue, and that
claimants faced long delays in having their cases resolved. However, he
maintained, steps had been taken to remedy these problems.

“In the past year and a half, we have fired or replaced approximately 700
judges,” he said. “Nowadays people do trust the courts.”

According to Rashed, those who have access to state courts both trust them and
use them. This accounts for approximately 60 per cent of the population. The
rest, he said, may live in remote areas where the state system has not yet
penetrated.

Some of the compilers of the report denied that they had apologised. They were
not able to give their names, however, as they said the Supreme Court had
warned them not to talk to the media.

But Dr Daoud Saba, one of the report’s main authors, insisted that the document
was produced according to international standards, and was founded on
scientific methods.

“This report reflects the reality of Afghanistan,” he said.

Those milling around the Supreme Court seem to agree. Most complain about
delays in decisions, corruption, and bribery.

“It has been more than two years since a commander claimed my property,” said
Najibullah, from Ghor province. “There’s still no result. It was heard in
provincial courts, and now in the Supreme Court - but no decision yet.”

Land issues are particularly difficult to resolve given Afghanistan’s turbulent
recent history. Returning refugees may find that their property has been taken
by a local strongman; neighbours quarrel over borders or water rights. In many
cases, no formal deeds or proof of ownership exist. The legal system has not
yet developed ways of dealing with the issues.

“One of the primary challenges to land administration, and thus a central cause
of land disputes, is the absence of an effective legal framework for land
issues,” according to the report.

Najibullah said that he had not paid any bribes or been asked for money.

But bribery does not always solve the problem, as a man from Takhar province
found out to his cost.

“I have money, and I paid the judge,” said the man, who did not want to give
his name. “But the other side also has money, and they too paid the judge. So
my case has been dragging on for 12 years.”

Nasrullah Stanekzai, former deputy minister of information and culture, now a
professor of law at Kabul University, sees serious problems with the study.

“I do not accept this report at all,” he said. “They did not contact any of the
Afghan legal institutions when they were compiling this report. They did not
contact the law department at the university. But it is clear that people are
turning to the jirgas to solve their problems. This is particularly true in
Pashtun areas.”

Stanekzai disagrees with the report’s conclusions.

“I do not believe that only 20 per cent of the people trust the justice
system,” he said. “If we look at the cities, where millions of people live,
there are only state courts. But unfortunately, Afghanistan’s justice system is
not complete. It is not independent, and there is a lot of corruption. The
procedures take too much time, and are very difficult. For all of these
reasons, people go to the traditional jirgas.”

The jirga system also has its problems, as the report points out. Many
practices embraced by local tradition are in violation of Afghan legislation,
such the tradition of “bad”, an exchange in which a woman or girl is offered in
marriage as a means of settling a dispute.

As time goes on, the report says, the two systems should cooperate and
reinforce each other. Its authors propose “a hybrid model for justice in
Afghanistan, in which alternative dispute resolution mechanisms remain
important in providing justice, but under the regulation of state
institutions”.

Wahidullah Amani is an IWPR staff trainer, reporter and editor in Kabul.

HELMAND RESIDENTS TURN ON THE LIGHTS

Tired of waiting for the government to help them, some Helmand residents are
making their own electricity.

By Zainullah Stanekzai in Helmand

As night falls in Nad Ali district, a humming sound can be heard in the air.
Small turbines fixed in local canals work throughout the evening, providing
light and warmth to village homes.

The people generating their own hydroelectric power have provided the equipment
and labour themselves, but complain the government is trying to tax them.

Helmand is comparatively well-off when it comes to energy, with the powerful
Kajaki hydroelectric station theoretically capable of providing enough power
for neighbouring Kandahar as well.

The United States is funding a major reconstruction of the dam and power
station, a project that will ultimately cost up to 500 million US dollars.

But the Taleban have extended their reach into Kajaki, and the resulting
battles with Afghan government and foreign forces have derailed the work. In
addition, power lines through troubled districts such as Sangin are often cut
either by the Taleban or by local residents, causing power outages throughout
the province.

Generators in the provincial capital Lashkar Gah provide electricity whenever
the government has enough fuel to run them, but the city often goes without
power. Even the state media cannot always command enough electricity to keep
television and radio on the air.

According to the deputy head of Helmand’s power department, Engineer Mohammad
Nabi, the Kajaki dam now produces 20 megawatts of power, about half of which
goes to Kandahar. The rest goes to Helmand, with half for the capital Lashkar
Gah and the rest distributed around the province.

This is woefully inadequate for the province’s needs, he added.

“The Kajaki dam cannot produce more than 20 megawatts because the equipment is
old and damaged,” said Nabi. “Lashkar Gah alone needs 25 megawatts.”

The result is that many districts are left in the dark.

“We can’t supply power to every corner of Helmand,” said Nabi.

Enterprising residents of Nad Ali, a rural district adjacent to Lashkar Gah,
have taken matters into their own hands, installing small turbine systems in
irrigation canals to generate power for their communities.

“The turbine has changed our lives,” said 35-year-old Mullah Atiqullah, a
resident of Chan Jir, in Nad Ali. “We use it to run fans in the summer and
lighting in the winter. Many residents also watch television.”
A turbine costs 320,000 Pakistani rupees – about 5,200 US dollars - and is
shared among 20 families.

“This is progress,” said Atiqullah. “There are television antennas on the roof
of every house and light bulbs in people’s windows.”

He complained that the government has been quick to cash in by levying
arbitrary taxes.

“Government officials have taken money from me three times in the past year,”
he said. “The first time it was 30,000 Pakistani rupees [490 dollars], then it
was 10,000 and the last time it was 3,000. I don’t know what this money is for.”

The Pakistani currency is commonly used in Helmand in place of the afghani.

Engineer Faizullah, head of the power department, denied that his officials
were taking money. Moreover, he told IWPR that he supported the residents’
initiative in setting up their own mini-power-stations.

“We do not prohibit the installation of turbines,” he said. “We do not take
money from people for this. A number of turbines are registered with us. We are
happy that people can provide their own electricity.”

About 41 private turbines have been set up in Nad Ali and Marjaa districts,
providing electricity to about 1,000 homes. Over the past three years, more and
more residents have been installing their own turbines, and now the trend is
reaching even the remotest areas of Helmand.

The technology is not complicated, said Hayatullah, who makes money by helping
people install the generating systems.
“Setting up is easy,” he said. “You just put the turbine where the water
current is strong. The water turns the blades, and they turn the wheel which
pulls the belt which runs the engine. That produces electricity.”

Hayatullah said that he charges between 15,000 and 75,000 rupees for each
installation job.

Mohammad Saleem, from Nad Ali district, also makes a good living from
do-it-yourself turbines.

“I earn about 17,000 afghani [350 dollars] monthly, and I provide power to 35
homes,” he said.
But residents complain that officials are getting in the way of their cottage
industry.

“The government does not help us, but the police take money from us,”
complained Hajji Meera Jan, whose village has just acquired its own turbine
generator. “We have to pay them between 20,000 and 30,000 rupees a year.”

Najmuddin, 25, from Nad Ali, wanted to set up a turbine in a local canal, but
the irrigation department demanded that he pay them 30,000 rupees. In order to
avoid the fee, he tried to complete the project under cover of darkness.

“The police caught me during a midnight patrol and fined me 10,000 rupees,” he
said. “The next day, I finally paid the irrigation department and they let me
resume work. But every time the police have a change of commanders, we have to
stop until we have paid them again.”

Zainullah Stanekzai is a freelance reporter in Helmand province.

**** www.iwpr.net

AFGHAN RECOVERY REPORT from the Institute for War & Peace Reporting is a unique
free service providing local media outlets and the international community with
objective and reliable news from local sources.

Afghan Recovery Report is produced as part of IWPR's training work to develop
the professional capabilities and sustainability of the Afghan print media,
facilitating their role as a critical monitor and guardian of the stabilisation
and recovery process.

The opinions expressed in IWPR's Afghan Recovery Report are those of the
authors and do not necessarily represent those of the publication or of IWPR.

IWPR Afghanistan provides workshops and practical on-the-job training for local
journalists, with weekly publication and syndication in local language media.
Other activities include training Afghan trainers, working with the Kabul
University journalism faculty and reporting on human rights and humanitarian
issues.

AFGHAN RECOVERY REPORT: Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal
Chazan; Senior Editor: John Macleod; Programme Director: Jean MacKenzie.

IWPR Project Development and Support: Executive Director: Anthony Borden;
Strategy & Assessment Director: Alan Davis; Chief Programme Officer: Mike Day.

**** www.iwpr.net

IWPR builds democracy at the frontlines of conflict and change through the
power of professional journalism. IWPR programs provide intensive hands-on
training, extensive reporting and publishing, and ambitious initiatives to
build the capacity of local media. Supporting peace-building, development and
the rule of law, IWPR gives responsible local media a voice.

Institute for War & Peace Reporting
48 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7831 1030  Fax: +44 (0)20 7831 1050

For further details on this project and other information services and media
programmes, go to: www.iwpr.net

ISSN: 1477-7916 Copyright (c) 2007 The Institute for War & Peace Reporting

**** www.iwpr.net