From: "Mike Tintner" <tint...@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Sent: 1/13/09 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] [WAS The Smushaby] The Logic of Creativity

Hi Jim

Yes you have misunderstood the nature of a creative problem, but no
criticism - I clearly need to spell this out v carefully - because I get
that particular misunderstanding over and over from programmers. [I'll just
answer briefly BTW because as I said, I want to do a much fuller, systematic
argument.another time]

The  central part [though not the only part of this and every creative]
problem for you and your computer and almost anyone is this:

you have *no domain knowledge* of, and no rules for,  "flying houses".

oh yes, you know about the domain of "flying creatures" say like birds, or
"flying planes",  and rules that apply to them, and you know a lot about the
domain of  "houses".and rules that apply to them

But you have no domain knowledge - no semantic network - no rules about how
to put the two together (or whether they do go together, or aren't a
contradiction in terms] - or what the result should look like, or how it
should function. Overall you have a v.  *incomplete domain set.*

And just to make life multiply difficult you don't have criteria of what a
"good" flying house is. What IS a good flying house, Jim? And what makes one
flying house better than another, because you're going to have to make such
judgments, as you consider alternative possiblities - flat roof, sloped