David,

You are correct in that I keep bad company. My approach to NNs is VERY
different than other people's approaches. I insist on reasonable math being
performed on quantities that I understand, which sets me apart from just
about everyone else.

Your "neat" approach isn't all that neat, and is arguably scruffier than
mine. At least I have SOME math to back up my approach. Further, note that
we are self-organizing systems, and that this process is poorly understood.
I am NOT particularly interest in people-programmed systems because of their
very fundamental limitations. Yes, self-organization is messy, but it fits
the "neat" definition better than it meets the "scruffy" definition. Scruffy
has more to do with people-programmed ad hoc approaches (like most of AGI),
which I agree are a waste of time.

Steve