Hi David,

I read the essay

I think it summarizes well some of the key issues involving the bridge
between perception and cognition, and the hierarchical decomposition of
natural concepts....

I find the ideas very harmonious with those of Jeff Hawkins, Itamar Arel,
and other researchers focused on hierarchical deep learning approaches to
vision with longer-term AGI ambitions

I'm not sure there are any dramatic new ideas in the essay.  Do you think
there are?

My own view is that these ideas are basically right, but handle only a
modest percentage of what's needed to make a human-level, vaguely human-like
AGI ....  I.e. I don't agree that solving vision and the vision-cognition
bridge is *such* a huge part of AGI, though it's certainly a nontrivial
percentage...

-- Ben G

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC

"I admit that two times two makes four is an excellent thing, but if we are
to give everything its due, two times two makes five is sometimes a very
charming thing too." -- Fyodor Dostoevsky