Question: Does someone know the 'proper' residual from binary logistic
regression to use in creating a variogram of residuals if the variogram is to
be used to inform the variance-covariance error matrix to account for spatial
autocorrelation among residuals in a mixed model?  I explain this more below.

I would like to use a mixed logistic regression model to account for spatial
autocorrelation.  To do this, I would like to use a variance-covariance error
matrix in model fitting that is based upon a theoretical variogram with
parameters estimated during model calibration.  Identification of the proper
form of the variogram and start values for its parameters can be accomplished,
I believe, by first fitting a logistic regression with only fixed effects and
then creating a sample varogram from the residuals.  When modeling the
probability of a binary outcome using a nonlinear model, especially when the
response exhibits a high degree of spatial clustering, it seems there are
several challenges.

The reponse data (0,1) is highly spatially correlated, so a simple residual of
observed minus probability as given by model will give clusters of negative and
positive residuals.  This is regardless of whether I standardize the residual
or not, I believe.  Also, there is the problem of how to interpret the residual
into a form that could be placed back into the equation for logistic
regression.  For example, if the predicted probability is 0.5 and the
observation is 1, it would require an infinite increase in the sum of
predictors*coefficients to increase the probability from 0.5 to 1.  So, it
seems a 'residual' tacked onto the linear sum of the logistic regression
equation is nonsensical and observed values minus probabilities is
uninformative.

Thanks,
Seth