Dear list,

I have point measurements of soil water tensions on an area of approx. 2m
(width) x 0.8 m (depth) measured on
a regular grid of 10 by 10 cm. In each of the 17 rows of this grid, 20
measurements were made. Every second row
is shifted by 5 cm with regard to the previous row giving a chequerboard type
pattern.
My goal is to interpolate this data to a 5 cm grid, which pretty much means
that I try to fill in the gaps.

The data has strong trend which is limited to the depth direction (driving
forces are water movement under
gravity and plant uptake of water).

I had to take logarithms of the data because the original data variance is
strongly dependent on the local mean.
After taking logs it looks fine (to me).
After doing this I calculated various variogramms which I fitted using gstat in
the R environment. In log space
I interpolated data using Universal Kriging (using a variogramm calculated
perpendicular to the trend)
with various polynomial trend functions in depth direction, Ordinary kriging,
Ordinary kriging of residuals
after trend removal and an addition of the trend component after kriging,
Inverse distance weighting
and finally Ordinary kriging using the variogramm calculated perpendicular to
the trend and ignoring
spatial correlation in depth direction by assuming an appropriate anisotropy.
(basically a 1D Kriging in X-direction).

I cross validated the various procedures on  data sets that were actually
measured on a
5 x 5 cm grid and were simply reduced to a 10 x 10 cm grid by leaving out every
second data point.

I achieved by the best results with last method mentioned (Ordinary kriging
using the variogramm calculated perpendicular to the trend and ignoring spatial
dependence in depth direction).
>From a practitioners point of view I'm satisfied with the result.

However, after scanning the literature I've not found anybody who has done a
2-D interpolation this awkward way. This
gives me the uneasy feeling that in a subsequent publication my approach will
not stand up against the critical
view of a real geostatistician. Is my approach suitable or should I further
explore other methods?

Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sven
+