There is also a fair amount of literature on the Modifiable Areal Unit Problem (MAUP)
that goes back for several decades.

The role of spatial scale in the analysis can be a critical one with not only changes in cell
size but also rotations, etc., applied to the basic grid causing shifts in correlation behavior.

Duane Marble