GREATER THINGS SHALL YOU DO THAN I HAVE DONE
SAID JESUS CHRIST TO HIS FOLLOWERS:

What you have done to these the least of My brethren you have done
unto Me.

CATHOLIC VEGETARIAN SAINTS

St Francis of Assisi, St Clare, stigmatist St Therese Neumann, St.
Martin de Porres, St John Chrysostom, St Anthony of Padua who preached
to fishes when humans would not listen.. St Nicholas of Tolentino*
believed they were following the example of Jesus in not eating His
animals. Trappists, Cistercians, Benedictines, Franciscans all have
had a tradition of vegetarian diet, to which many still adhere. The
pretzel was says George Cornell former AP religion writer a Lenten
bread, symbolizing arms folded in prayer.. Lentils were named as such
because they were a Lenten vegetarian alternative to animal flesh.
Meatless Fridays were the last vestige of early Christian abstinence
from meat in following
Christ's example. A papal bull once excommunicated anyone who attended
a bullfight because the barbaric cruelty in them. This was later
amended to excommunicate only priests who blessed bullfighting.
BIBLICAL ORIGINS
Genesis 1: 29, Isaiah 65, Daniel 1 Exodus 26: 34 are some of the
thousands of quotes in the Bible on vegetarian diet. The command to
feed the hungry, given by Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount, implies
vegetarianism since the flesh of animals yields 100 to 1000 lbs an
acre, dairy products around 10,000 lbs. an acre, some vegetables,
81,000 lbs. an acre, and fruits from centenarian fruit trees 450,000
or more lbs. an acre. Therefore Genesis fruit trees yield 450 times
what slaughterhouses yield. Daniel O'Steen, of National Right To Life,
felt he must be consistent in his prolife stance and so many years ago
became a vegetarian. Clare Obis, mother of 6 boys, created a
successful media campaign when Mike Royko refused to allow her
vegetarian gluten ribs in his cooking contest. Fr. Ron Lengwin of KDKA
Radio in Pittsburgh believes that the apple Adam ate was the first
heart of a butchered animal. Rep Dennis Kucinich (Democrat Cleveland)
is a vegan who has worked for the rights of blue collar laborers, for the
environment, and for peace. Vegetarian monasteries in Massachusetts,
New York, Kentucky, Ohio serve only meatless meals.. Ron Pickarsky,
former Catholic brother, now married,
has worked with commercial establishments helping them to transition
http://www.eco-cuisine.com
JB exec of an Ohio corporation, rings a bell for the Knights of
Columbus in public places, and has in the past inquired where he could
get vegan no feather sleeping bags to be consistent in his vegetarian
diet. D. Marshall, New York homeless shelter worker, is a vegetarian
who does not proselytize the poor who come in to his welcoming inn.
Catholic colleges such as Georgetown have responded to the growing
number of their vegan students by providing options. Thomas Merton,
author of Seven Story Mountain and Trappist monk, was a vegetarian,
and activist for interfaith cooperation. For this he may have been
murdered. EL, New York environmentalist, poet, and mystic, originally
became vegetarian for economic reasons, while one of his teachers, Fr.
Daniel Berrigan, eats no meat. CW, Catholic nurse, was nursing her
child one day when a mosquito landed on her arm. She decided to nurse
him too. One Catholic seminarian experimented with pot once.. and his
perceptions slowed down. The chicken leg he was gnawing on became the
leg of a chicken. That day he stopped eating meat and stopped smoking
pot. A Catholic secretary for Cleveland Amory's Fund For Animals
became vegan. K Fromer Blanc, Brooklyn nun, is a vegetarian as are
millions of other Catholics. Father Mario Mazzoleni, now deceased,
wrote on his decision to become vegetarian. His book is translated
by a Notre Dame professor.The temptation to eat meat is chemical in
nature, as the uric acid in meat is more addictive than caffein since
it is trioxypurine or 3 oxypurines while caffein is dioxypurine or 2.
Exodus 26: 34 is a command not to kill. Governor Jesse Ventura in
reference to the death penalty (for animals too) has said that that
command is not asterisked with exceptions. St Thomas in the Thomasine
Gospel
has many references to the fruiteating of Christ. Thomas, the
skeptical apostle, went to Madras India where even today are millions
of Catholic descendants of his preaching.
Cesar Chavez, the saintly activist for the rights of farm workers,
continued the tradition of nonviolence in his labor organizing as well
as his diet. He and Gandhi looked to Leo Tolstoy, Russian Catholic,
who wrote The Kingdom of God is Within You.
Albert of Michigan, a Catholic paraplegic, has spent much time
researching Catholic vegetarianism in history. He says that the word
'opsarian' means 'pickled fish' and is the Greek word for the fish
Jesus created, meaning that Jesus did not materialize freshly
suffocated fish but materialized processed fish. http://www.nofishing.net
Francisco Martin, Madrid Spain secretary of the IVU http://www.ivu.org
is a Catholic vegan activist. Colman McCarthy, former Trappist and
syndicated columnist, lectures around the world on peace studies and
has long been mostly fruitarian. Bruce Friedrich, Catholic of PETA,
ran their Jesus Was Vegetarian campaign.
(http://www.jesusveg.com) St Blaize's throat protection is not
necessary if one stops
eating innocent fishes, suffocated and smothered, with their eyes and
throats ripped out by vicious hooks. http://www.nofishing.net The
countries with the most
fish consumption have the most stomach cancer. Many members of the
Catholic Worker community as their founder Dorothy Day follow
vegetarian diet
in Matthew 25 and many other homes. http://www.catholicworker.org
http://www.paxchristiusa.org Dr. Virginia Bourquardez, who once
hitchhiked for the first time at the age of 77 when her ride
dematerialized,
worked her entire life for animals, and became a vegetarian in her 70's.
Malcolm Muggeridge the British intellectual abstained from meat in
later years..
Helen Jones of the National Catholic Soc. For Animal Welfare worked
with her
sister Ruth out of their Clark Summit Pennsylvania home. Leonardo Da
Vinci,
a Catholic, was also a fruitarian. Danny DeVito protects insect life
as well
as mammals.
Christian vegetarian sites
http://www.egroups.com/messages/catholicveg http://www.jesusveg.com
http://www.compassionatespirit.com http://www.all-creatures.org
http://www.hacres.com http://www.egroups.com/messages/salvarmy/2
Others
http://www.pcrm.org http://www.notmilk.comhttp://www.madcowboy.com
http://www.ivu.org http//www.acorn.net/fruitarian
http://www.meatout.com http://www.wfad.org http://www.animalsagenda.org
tp://www.peta.net http://www.hsus.org
http://groups.msn.com/bioterror
http://www.egroups.com/messages/catholicveg/118
http://groups.msn.com/stopmowing
Fr. Mario Mazzoleni on his decision to become vegetarian (after 3
years as a strict vegetarian, Fr. Mario Mazzoleni speaks of a desire
for meat. * see above
the addictive trioxypurine in meat) I would be a hypocrite if I led
the reader to believe that I was strong enough to be perfectly
faithful to my Lenten resolution. ..I
hadn't yet completely resolved my desire for meat - and so the
repressed desire
was floating to the surface. It is a fact that the minute I would sit
down to meditate, the most succulent meals would pass in front of my
mind, full of fragrant roasted chickens and various sausages. What to
do? If I was going to ruin all my meditations for a
roast chicken, it would be better to eliminate the problem by facing
it head on. And so after 3 years of strict vegetarianism, I decided to
get rid of the desire once and for all by satiating myself with a meat
dinner. After all, I told myself to quiet my sense of guilt, "It isn't
a crime to eat meat, and I can't say that because I'm vegetarian I'm
better than many people who are carnivorous." It was almost a
traumatic experience. I remembered an analogous experience of Gandhi's
that he recounted in his autobiography. Convinced by a friend that
India could be liberated only by the grit
of someone who ate meat, he hid himself on a river bank to consume
some barbecued baby goat meat, and the next night he could feel
bleating in his chest. Instead of enjoying the coveted snack in peace,
the minute this little faithbreaker set his teeth into the cruel
repast* (* a reference to Dante's Inferno.. in which
meat is described as a cruel repast in XXXIII.1) he was himself bitten
by remorse and anxiety. I kept seeing the animal alive in front of me,
and this inhibited the desire that was so enticing when it was simply
mental. I immediately noticed some other effects, physical as well as
psychic. My intestines held that food much longer than they kept
vegetables,and my sense of smell, made sensitive by several years of
vegetarianism,
was able to detect the odor of the cooked animal on my skin. It was a
disagreeable sensation. As for my psyche, I noticed that my mind,
which during my 3 year "Lent" was no longer seriously agitated by
unwanted thoughts, suffered a set back from that carne-vale (meat
festival); polluting throughts started to enter again in triumph. It
was a lesson. As always it is experience more than words that has the
greater power of persuasion. The decision to adopt a vegetarian diet
was motivated also by a religious actor. I knew that I was going to a
sacred place.
quoted from Don Mario Mazzoleni's book, published by Leela Press of
Faber, Virginia USA
Genesis 1: 29 Behold I have given you herbyielding seed.
To you it shall be for meat. (The fruitarian Garden of Eden)
Methusaleh.. the oldest man in the Bible, achieved 969
orbits of the sun.
Exodus: 26: 34 Thou Shalt Not Kill (not asterisked with
exceptions)
Jesus: Ye are whited sepulchres (Greek sarcophagi sarx flesh ..phagi
eater)
Jesus threw the butchers out of the temple. Daniel was vegetarian
in the lions' den and therefore was
not harmed. Daniel was in jail 10 days and his
condition as a vegetarian was better than those who
were not.
Paul: If your flesheating offends your brother, forego it.
Jesus: Feed the hungry (450 times as many people per acre
can be fed tree products in comparison to slaughterhouse
products)
Many Catholics are praying that the Holy Father who takes such a
strong stand
in preventing the violence of war and execution, will withdraw his
endorsement of the cruelty of lab research. Many Catholic churches
have blessing of the animals ceremonies.

Abba in the name of Jesus thank You that You are now ending all
violence to people, animals, and all beings on Your planet now and
forever.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/xbTolB/TM