For hours I've been searching and trying out - but I can't get my
soundcard working with the digital output.
I'm using xine / mplayer and have a digital speaker set. I was able to
use the digital ouput but not the AC3 passthrough - i.e. I heard audio
streams but they were allready decoded. what I want to achieve is pure
undecoded digital sound.
I tried both with the alsa driver (0.9.4) and the oss from
http://opensource.creative.com/ . at this time I uninstalled alsa
drivers and utilities and do have only the oss driver installed. my
modules.config file looks like this:

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
         post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/emu-script
.

now I don't hear a thing. so I guess, I'll have to reinstall alsa & co.
but my question remains: how do I enable pure digital output? why is
xine / mplayer not recieving the signal (with the ac3 passtrough enabled
I heard a high hissing fast repeating noise with the oss driver and
nothing at all with the alsa driver - xine was outputing something like
snd_pcm device busy or no such device).
for the installation and configuration with alsa I followed these
instruction:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg07365.html. I unmuted the devices
(also the audigy digital output), but my sound was decoded anyway.

I really appreciate any help - cause I don't want to have windows
running only because I can't watch DVD's on a linux distro.

regards
BlinkEye