Hi,

as suggested in linux-audio-user I repeat my question here:

I am struggling with setting up the alsa dmixer with the M-Audio Audiophile USB sound card. The card works well (even better now since alsa 1.0.11rc4/linux 2.6.17rc1) but only one application can access it at the same time. Internet search gives a lots of results for asound.conf dmix configurations (and that it should work out of the box with recent alsa versions - but not with USB) but the M-Audio seems to be special, as always. As confirmed in linux-audio-user this is due to the fact that it is a USB device and that it needs byteswapping. So,

1. What's the correct asound.conf? I tried the following (and many similar to this):

[First soundcard is the onboard snd-intel8x0 card, the m-audio is the hw:2,0. It's a debian sid system with kernel 2.6.17rc2]

--------------------------------------
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024 # This must be a unique IPC key (see ipcs output)
        ipc_key_add_uid 0
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
                pcm "hw:2,0"
                channels   2;
                period_time 4096
                period_size 4096 # Must be power of 2 for alsa-oss
                buffer_size 8192 # ditto
                #buffer_time   340000; does not work with this option
                rate 44100
        }
        bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
        }
}

# OSS via aoss should d(mix)stroyed:
pcm.dsp2 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

ctl.mixer2 {
    type hw
    card 2
}

the card still works with this, but no sound mixing. Playing a song and using another sound appl at the same time gives:

WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (hw:2,0): Device or resource busy

2. Can jackd and simple alsa apps use the soundcard at the same time with dmix (theoretically, if it would work)?

any hope?
thanks, any help appreciated

Florian