I have a Delta 44 sound card here that uses the ice1712 chipset.

Am I right in thinking that although the card has 4 mono inputs, it can
only capture one stream at a time?  arecord seems to think so...

$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M44 [M Audio Delta 44], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have an alsa application that needs to capture two audio signals
concurrently.  Both are to be sampled at 48000 sps.  The two resulting
data streams must be kept completely separate for the application to work.

I am trying to avoid using another sound card.

So I tried this in .asoundrc...

pcm.ice1712 {
        type            hw
        card            0
        device          0
        channels        12
}

pcm.D44_ch12_capture {
        type            plug
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
        slave.pcm       ice1712
}

pcm.D44_ch34_capture {
        type            plug
        ttable.0.2 1
        ttable.1.3 1
        slave.pcm       ice1712
}

If I open a terminal both the capture PCMs work fine on their own...

  $ arecord -f dat -r 48000 -DD44_ch12_capture test12.wav
Recording WAVE 'test12.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
Hz, Stereo
^C

$ arecord -f dat -r 48000 -DD44_ch34_capture test34.wav
Recording WAVE 'test34.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
Hz, Stereo
^C

But if I then open another terminal and try to use the capture PCMs
concurrently I get

$ arecord -f dat -r 48000 -DD44_ch34_capture test34.wav
arecord: main:722: audio open error: Device or resource busy

I suspect this is a limitation of the ice1712 hardware.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?