Caelia Chapin wrote:
> When I run alsamixer, DENON DJ MCX8000 is one of the sound cards I can
> select; when I do select it, the results depend on the kernel version.
> With older kernels, no playback or capture devices are shown for this
> card
>
>    MULTI Validity

Alsamixer does not show devices; it shows mixer controls.  Apparently,
your device does not have any useful mixer controls accessible by
software.

> When I run Mixxx and attempt to select the MCX8000 as the output
> device, the GUI pops up an "unknown error" message. But when I run
> Mixxx in debug mode, I am able to capture following more detailed
> error:
>
>    Expression 'r' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2092
>    Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_FinishConfigure( &self->playback,
> hwParamsPlayback, outParams, self->primeBuffers, realSr, outputLatency )'
> failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2733
>    Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Configure( stream, inputParameters,
> outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inputLatency, &outputLatency,
> &hostBufferSizeMode )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line:
> 2838

These messages come from PulseAudio.  AFAIK it has problems handling
devices that do not fit into the normal 2.0 or 5.1 schema.

Do aplay/arecord work?

Regards,
Clemens