On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:49:53 +0200,
Axel Holzinger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a RME HDSPe MADI card to run in an ARM box with Linux
> 4.1.6. I configured the (vendor specific TI) kernel to support the card (via
> hdspm) compiled into the kernel (not as loadable module).
>
> The MADI card is detected as a PCI device and the ALSA driver is loaded.
> Unfortunately playout does NOT work: aplay is reporting an error:
> ALSA lib pcm_mmap.c:374:(snd_pcm_mmap) mmap failed: No such device or
> address

Hm, this sounds odd.  But the line doesn't really correspond to the
latest version of alsa-lib.  Could you try to upgrade to the latest
version?  Otherwise it's hard to debug.

> strace:
> open("/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_CLOEXEC) = 4
> fcntl64(4, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)         = 0
> ioctl(4, AGPIOC_ACQUIRE or APM_IOC_STANDBY or SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_INFO,
> 0xbecdfb64) = 0
> fcntl64(4, F_GETFL)                     = 0x802 (flags O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)
> ioctl(4, AGPIOC_INFO or SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PVERSION, 0xbecdfacc) = 0
> ioctl(4, AGPIOC_SETUP or SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_TTSTAMP, 0xbecdfad4) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0x80000000) = -1 ENXIO (No such
> device or address)

This error is expected and should be OK.  It's an mmap of
status/control page, and this isn't supported on ARM, thus the kernel
returns -ENXIO.  alsa-lib then falls back to the normal ioctl instead
of status/control mmap.

But the ring-buffer mmap is supported as normal on ARM for MADI
driver, at least.  MADI provides the SG-buffer that is mappable via
DMA coherent pages, and it should work on most of archs as is.

You should have another error from mmap, with a different offset
value.  That's the real error we need to track down.

(And, 4.1.x is pretty old, rather too old for debugging, too...)

Takashi