Paul and list,

On Jul 6, 2017 18:06, "Paul D. DeRocco" <pdero...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

I've got a Raspberry Pi with a HiFiBerry DAC on it, and a USB to MIDI
converter plugged into it. It's running a GUI-less embedded Linux created
with Yocto, which uses systemd and udev. The card numbers assigned to
these two devices is unpredictable. What can I do to fix the card numbers?
Or barring that, what else can I do so that my app can use fixed names for
referring to both?

Try sudo aplay -L to get a list of symbolic names.

On my Cubox I see for example

hw:CARD=Schiit,DEV=0

Which is what I want to use (you might want plughw or some other interface).