On Mon, 21 Aug 2017, Clemens Ladisch via Alsa-user wrote:

> Mark Hills wrote:
> > a soundcard that has toslink input, and supports IEC958_SUBFRAME_*
> > sample formats
>
> In practice, PCI cards with a CMI8738/CMI8768 (not CMI878x) chip.

Many thanks for this; I acquired a PCI CMI8768 and this morning wrote a
program which successfully extracted the raw S/PDIF stream.

For interest, I've successfully decoded the PCM audio from the stream. But
thinking it may be impossible to form track markers from the rest of the
data. Unlike a CD player, the source (a Pioneer MiniDisc machine) appears
to output digital silence even when not playing, and so far I can't seem
to see anything useful in the metadata.

Thanks again

--
Mark