(Yocto-based embedded Linux on Raspberry Pi)

I used to be able to get card numbers assigned by creating an
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf file containing:

 options snd slots=snd-soc-hifiberry-dacplus,snd-usb-audio

and I would wind up with my DAC as card 0, followed by any USB devices
that happened to be plugged in. When I switched from Yocto Morty to Pyro,
going from alsa-lib 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 and kernel 4.8 to 4.9, this stopped
working. (Admittedly, other things changed, too.)

To figure it out, I tried this alsa.conf:

 options snd cards_limit=8 slots=snd-soc-hifiberry-dacplus,snd-usb-audio
 install snd-soc-hifiberry-dacplus \
   echo 'Installing snd-soc-hifiberry-dacplus'; \
   /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-soc-hifiberry-dacplus
 install snd-usb-audio \
   echo 'Installing snd-usb-audio'; \
   /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-usb-audio

I do indeed see the messages in the log, so those names are being
recognized. The sound is working (although with an unpredictable card
number) so the drivers are loaded. But my slot assignments are:

  midiC0D0              a USB MIDI device
  midiC1D0              another USB MIDI device
  pcmC2D0p and pcmC2D1p on-board crappy PWM audio
  pcmC3D0p              Hifiberry DAC
  pcmC4D0p              HDMI audio

The last two can be in either order. So it appears the slots option to the
snd module doesn't do anything. I tried adding the cards_limit parameter
with various values, and that changed nothing. I also tried adding the
index parameter as an option to the individual drivers, but the hifiberry
doesn't understand it.

Did something change in 2.1.2? Or am I doing something wrong? Is "snd" no
longer the name of the top level ALSA sound module? I don't see it listed
in lsmod.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pdero...@ix.netcom.com