> What is so bad about PA that an ALSA plugin would do better?

I wouldn't know, really, if there is anything bad to begin with?
Last two opinions that I read on the subject were that PA used to be bad
in the beginning but its great now, and that in general is not necessary
on the system at all since alsa can do everything. The latter was my
experience as well.
I know there's been a ton of divisive opinion pro and against PA, but I
never went too deep down that rabbit hole.
Personally, I like to keep my system as lean as possible and cherrypick
software (as much as I can) that runs on it. I prefer to accomplish
things by reconfiguring existing software, rather than introducing more
software to my system.

Latency, btw, is not an issue - when I do music production work, I run
jack anyway.

> > I don't mind writing some code; do you think it'd be feasible to write a
> > plugin to accomplish such functionality
>
> Open both slave devices; copy around the samples appropriately.

I've gotten a suggestion on Freenode to send the stream to both devices
at the same time and use mixer master control to shut one or the other off.

    http://pastebin.com/B7iEKBwH

This will solve my issue without writing a plugin or introducing PA into
my system.