So whilst really trying to get my head around the syntax of the
configuration files, I figured the only way i truly could was to read
the source code.

whilst i was doing that i found this interesting configuration file
src/conf/cards/USB-Audio.conf

on lines 22 starts the description of configuring the usb device to be
two stereo devices not  a surround40

I'm not at home with my mix deck so cant test but its promising, i
might be able to fix not just my personal configuration but submit a
pull request to fix everyone's