This has worked for me, full elaboration of steps for Johns sake and anyone
who happens across this post.

   i) Plugin phone

    ii) Uninstall any drivers that mention "HTC Android USB Device"

   iii) Unplug phone and restart (I restarted into safe mode, but it turned
out to be unneccisary)

   iv) Use regedit to find the string "vid_0bb4&pid_0c02" in keys or
         values. If you find in a value, delete the whole registry folder.
         Repeat till you find none
         Note: if regedit doesn't allow you to delete a key (folder) then
right click it, go to permissions
                  and give "everyone" full control, apply and ok, then
delete the key (folder)

   v) goto Control Panel > System > Hardward and in the second box down
click "Windows Update"
         make sure that "Ask me to search Windows Update everytime I connect
a device" or "Never search windows update for drivers" is selected

   vi) plug in phone, and wait for the driver installation dialog to appear
(it took about a minute for me)

   vii) select "Don't search windows update" if your asked, click next

   viii) select "I will choose a driver" click next

   ix) select "show all devices" click next

   x) select "Have Disk", then navigate to the usb_driver for your OS, x86
for 32-bit windows, amd64 for 64-bit windows

   Everything should install