Thanks everyone for your help so far.

A few more things:
* FAT32 is not limited to 2GB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32
(The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus
1 byte)
* I did try formatting an SDHC card as NTFS but unfortunately the
Android device would not recognize it. Also, ext3 wouldn't work on
most Windows users' machines without downloading additional programs.
* I'm surprised this issue hasn't caused more of a stir before. I only
found one other mention of it (http://groups.google.com/group/android-
platform/browse_thread/thread/7c375594e5cc5427/2f397fe2eb829bae?
lnk=gst&q=file+size+limit#2f397fe2eb829bae)