>> this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/5YzB
Open Source enterprise-grade unified Big Data stream and batch processing
engine for Apache Hadoop in use at Capital One, GE, and more.

Forest Hill, MD –25 April 2015– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the
all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source
projects and initiatives, announced today that Apache® Apex™ has graduated from
the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the
project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's
meritocratic process and principles.

Apache Apex is a large scale, high throughput, low latency, fault tolerant,
unified Big Data stream and batch processing platform for the Apache Hadoop®
ecosystem.

"It is very exciting to see Apex after nearly 4 years since inception becoming
an ASF top-level project," said Thomas Weise, Vice President of Apache Apex.
"It opens the strong capabilities and potential of the platform to a wider
audience and we’re looking forward to a growing community to continue driving
innovation in the stream processing space."

Recognized by InfoWorld for its "blazing speed and simplified programmability,"
Apex works in conjunction with Apache Hadoop YARN, a resource management
platform for working with Hadoop clusters.

Apex was originally created at DataTorrent Inc. in 2012 (coinciding with the
first alpha release of YARN), and entered the Apache Incubator in August 2015.

Apex enables streaming analytics on Apache Hadoop with an enterprise-grade
platform. It has been built to leverage the underlying infrastructure provided
by YARN and HDFS (Hadoop Distributed File System), including resource
management, multi-tenancy and security.

Faster to Deployment
Apache Apex meets the demands of today's Big Data applications with real-time
reporting, monitoring, and learning with millisecond data point precision. Its
pipeline processing architecture can be used for real-time and batch processing
in a unified architecture. Apex is highly performant, linearly scalable, fault
tolerant, stateful, secure, distributed, easily operable with low latency, no
data loss, and exactly-once semantics.

Apex streamlines development and productization of Hadoop applications and
lowers the barrier-to-entry by enabling developers to write or re-use generic
Java code, minimizing the specialized expertise needed to write Big Data
applications. This allows organizations to maximize developer productivity,
accelerate development of business logic, and reduce time to market.

"Apache Apex is an example of the latest generation of advanced stream
processing software that adds significant technology and capabilities over
previous options," said Ted Dunning, Vice President of the Apache Incubator,
Apache Apex Incubator Mentor, and Chief Application Architect at MapR
Technologies. "That this project came to Apache and is now a fully fledged
project is very exciting."

Apex comes with a comprehensive library of reusable operators (functional
building blocks) that can be leveraged to quickly create new and non-trivial
applications. This also includes connectors to integrate with many external
systems that include message buses, databases, file systems and social media
feeds. Examples are Apache Cassandra, Apache HBase, JDBC, and Apache Kafka.

"Apache Apex is a battle-hardened technology, processing huge volumes of
streaming data at some of the world’s largest enterprise and Internet
companies," said technology advisor Eric Baldeschwieler. "Its successful Apache
incubation has provided a tremendous boost to Apex, bringing many new members
to its community of users and developers."

Enterprise Grade Unified Stream and Batch Processing
Apache Apex use cases include ingestion, fast real-time analytics, data
movement, Extract-Transform-Load (ETL), fast batch, alerts, and real-time
actions across diverse industries such as programmatic advertising,
telecommunications, Internet of Things (IoT), and financial services.

"We are in the process of leveraging Big Data technologies to transform
business processes and drive more value," explained Reid Levesque, Head of
Solution Engineering at a financial services company. "We chose Apex to help us
in this journey to do real-time ingestion and analytics on our various data
sources and now we are proud to see it graduate to an Apache top level
project."

Apex powers Big Data projects in production at numerous large enterprises such
as Capital One (real-time decisioning and fraud detection); GE Predix (IoT
Cloud platform for industrial data and analytics); PubMatic (marketing
automation software platform for publishers), and Silver Spring Networks (IoT
solutions for smart cities).

"We at GE Predix data services have used Apex for our data pipeline product and
look forward to our continued usage and contribution," said Parag Goradia,
Executive Director of Predix Data Services. "We had great experience with
Apache Apex and its capabilities. We believe Apex has a bright future as it
will continue to solve big problems in the big data industry. We are proud to
be associated with this project and excited that it is now in top level
status."

"The Apex community has done a great job throughout the incubation process.
They have built a robust community and demonstrated a firm understanding of The
Apache Way," said P. Taylor Goetz, ASF Member and Apache Apex Incubator Mentor.
"I'm pleased to see Apex graduate to a top-level project. These are exciting
times in the world of stream processing."

"Congratulations to the Apache Apex community for working successfully through
the incubation process and becoming part of the greater Apache Hadoop
ecosystem," added Dunning.

Catch Apache Apex in action at:
-  Apache: Big Data 9-12 May 2016 in Vancouver  http://apachecon.com/
- Hadoop Summit 28-30 June 2016 in San Jose, CA
http://hadoopsummit.org/san-jose/
- Spark & Hadoop User Group Munich 19 July 2016
http://www.meetup.com/Hadoop-User-Group-Munich/events/230313355/

Availability and Oversight
Apache Apex software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen
by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project
Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations,
including community development and product releases. For downloads,
documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Apex, visit
http://apex.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/ApacheApex

About the Apache Incubator
The Apache Incubator is the entry path for projects and codebases wishing to
become part of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation. All code
donations from external organizations and existing external projects wishing to
join the ASF enter through the Incubator to: 1) ensure all donations are in
accordance with the ASF legal standards; and 2) develop new communities that
adhere to our guiding principles. Incubation is required of all newly accepted
projects until a further review indicates that the infrastructure,
communications, and decision making process have stabilized in a manner
consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not
necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF. For more
information, visit http://incubator.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350
leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most
popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as
"The Apache Way," more than 550 individual Members and 5,300 Committers
successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade software,
benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are
distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates
in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's
official user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3)
charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors
including Alibaba Cloud Computing, ARM, Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Cerner,
Cloudera, Comcast, Confluent, Facebook, Google, Hortonworks, HP, Huawei, IBM,
InMotion Hosting, iSigma, LeaseWeb, Microsoft, PhoenixNAP, Pivotal, Private
Internet Access, Produban, Red Hat, Serenata Flowers, WANdisco, and Yahoo. For
more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Apex", "Apache Apex", "Cassandra",
"Apache Cassandra", "HBase", "Apache HBase", "Hadoop", "Apache Hadoop",
"Kafka", "Apache Kafka", "YARN", "Apache Hadoop YARN", and "ApacheCon" are
registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the
United States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.

# # #

NOTE: you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the
announce@apache.org distribution list. To unsubscribe, send email from the
recipient account to announce-unsubscr...@apache.org with the word
"Unsubscribe" in the subject line.