From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 6:33 AM
Subject: [kominform2] Scotland: 1000 protest over Israeli action.

From: "Stasi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [Peoples War] Scotland: 1000 protest over Israeli action - BBC

Saturday, 6 April, 2002, 17:40 GMT 18:40 UK

Online Video Report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1915000/video/_1915071_cutprotest_vi.ram
- BBC Scotland's Jamie McIvor reports : "Many people carried Palestinian
flags and placards of people they say were killed by the Israelis"

Scots protest over Israeli action
======================
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1915000/1915071.stm
The demonstration passed off peacefully

Hundreds of people have marched through the centre of Edinburgh to show
solidarity with the Palestinians.
The protesters called for an immediate end to Israeli military action in the
West Bank.

The demonstrators also said Israel must give up all the territory it has
occupied since 1967.

It is has been estimated that 1,000 people joined the march and many carried
Palestinian flags, while others carried placards of people they say were
killed by the Israelis.

Mick Napier, of the Palestine Solidarity campaign, said: "The Palestinians
are the longest standing unresolved injustice of the century.

"They were ethnically cleansed , they are being slow motion ethnically
cleansed by Ariel Sharon and Britain continues to send machine parts to keep
the weapons of assassination and ethnic cleansing flying."

The demonstrators called on Edinburgh's city centre shoppers to boycott
companies which sell Israeli goods.

Earlier this week Glasgow Labour MP George Galloway renewed his call for
consumers to boycott produce from Israel.

He said the public should be on the lookout for products like some oranges,
avocados and vegetables.

He told BBC Scotland: "We have a special duty to come to the aid of the
Palestinian people and every person can do it by personally making
purchasing decisions which hurt the ability of the Israeli economy to
function normally."

After Saturday's march SNP MSP Margo Macdonald likened the Palestinian's
plight to that of the Scots 600-years ago.

She added: "I am more than proud to associate this small nation of Scotland
with the small nation of Palestine."

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki