http://www.civil.ge/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1032169591,9605,

Civil Georgia
September 16, 2002

Tbilisi Sets Ultimatum to Russian Soldiers in Georgia

(Tbilisi, September 16, Civil Georgia) - Georgian
State Security Ministry detained one officer and four
servicemen of the Russian peacekeeping troops,
deployed in Georgian-Ossetian conflict zone on
September 15, Security Ministry reports.

Russian soldiers were detained in Tbilisi, Georgian
capital. Nika Laliashvili, Spokesman of the State
Security Ministry told the Civil Georgia on September
16, that Russia soldiers deployed in Georgia have no
legal right for movement without of Georgian
authorities’ permit.

“In case the Russian military leadership does not
solve the problem of illegal movement of their
soldiers in Georgia within the two weeks, Georgian law
enforcers will start arrests of every Russian soldier
violating the rule,” Nika Laliashvili told the Civil
Georgia.

According to the State Security official facts of
violations of movement across Georgia become very
frequent recently.

Nika Laliashvili said that 5 detained Russian soldiers
are released after the request of Russian military
leadership in Georgia, “but from now on we will act in
the strictest manner in case of violations,”
Laliashvili added.
http://www.civil.ge/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1032177310,55606,

Civil Georgia
September 16, 2002

US Military Instructors Observe Operation in Pankisi

(Tbilisi, September 16, Civil Georgia) - Georgian
President Shevardnadze stated at the news briefing
today that the US military instructors “are in Pankisi
gorge observing the on-going anti-criminal operation
there.”

“We are greatly interested in cooperation with the
United States, Washington is also interested in
squeezing terrorist out of the gorge,” Eduard
Shevardnadze said.

Georgian law enforcers carry out anti-criminal
operation in Pankisi gorge since August 25. President
expressed hope today that the operation will be
successfully accomplished within two-three weeks.
http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?prd_id=160&msg_id=2720285&startrow=1&date=2002-09-16&do_alert=0

RUSSIA, ABKHAZIA CALL GEORGIA TO LOCK FRONTIER TO
CHECHEN MILITANTS

MOSCOW, September 16. /RIA Novosti /- Georgia must
pull out its troops from the Kodor Gorge down to the
last soldier, and stop gang and terrorist penetration
of the area from the Pankisi Gorge, said Valeri
Loschinin, Russian presidential envoy for
Georgian-Abkhaz settlement, and Henri Jerghenia,
Abkhaz Prime Minister. They held conference today in
Sukhumi, capital of the unrecognised Republic of
Abkhazia, reports the Russian Ministry of Foreign
Affairs press and information department.

The conferees had a detailed opinion exchange on
developments in the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict zone. Mr.
Jerghenia made an alarmed reference to the situation
in the Kodor Gorge upper reaches coming to an edge
once again. Danger persists since October last, when
warlord Ruslan Ghelayev's men raided Abkhazia, to
badly upset Georgian-Abkhaz relations, he said.

The Premier mentioned recent Abkhaz reports of ever
more Chechen militants penetrating Kodor from Pankisi
to prove that Tbilisi is not complying with its
pledges on the Kodor Gorge-and, for that matter, with
basic Georgian-Abkhaz understandings. Nevertheless,
Georgia is making ungrounded claims on Abkhaz
authorities, he complained.

Georgia has a similar bias in its relations with
Russia and other CIS countries, Russia's Foreign
Ministry stresses in its statement.

It is Georgia's duty to implement its promises,
emphasised the Sukhumi conferees in the context of
dangerous developments in and round the Kodor Gorge.
http://www.civil.ge/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1032158409,44817,

Civil Georgia
September 16, 2002

Georgian President Is Thankful to George W. Bush

(Tbilisi, September 16, Civil Georgia) - "I want to
thank President of the United States, as well as the
State Department, European Union and those countries,
which appreciably supported Georgia in time of
trouble", President Shevardnadze stated today in his
traditional Monday radio interview.

"We are able to solve the problem on our own", said
Shevardnadze referring to the matter of troubled
Pankisi gorge.

US President Georgia W. Bush commented on Russian
President Putin's statement on September 14 and
pointed out that Georgians should be allowed to do
their job on their own and crack down on terrorist
hiding in Pankisi gorge.

"I have told Vladimir Putin [Russian President] that
they must give the Georgians a chance to achieve a
common objective -- an objective that's important for
Georgia, an objective that's important for Russia, an
objective that's important for the United States --
and that is to get the al Qaeda killers and bring them
to justice," US President George W. Bush stated on
September 14.

http://finance.yahoo.com