http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2002/09/23/011.html

Moscow Times
Monday, Sep. 23, 2002. Page 3

Georgia Calls for 3-Way Pankisi Talks
Combined Reports

-Irakly Menagarishvili told Georgia's Rustavi-2
television late last week from New York that
Washington had suggested the talks.
"If the Russian side refuses to participate, the
consultations will continue in a bilateral format."

Georgia's foreign minister said Georgian, Russian and
U.S. officials may hold three-way talks on the
controversy surrounding the Pankisi Gorge, where
Moscow asserts hundreds of Chechen rebels and
international terrorists have taken refuge and pose a
grave threat to Russia's security.

Irakly Menagarishvili told Georgia's Rustavi-2
television late last week from New York that
Washington had suggested the talks. He said Tedo
Dzhaparidze, the head of Georgia's Security Council
who left for Washington on Thursday for a previously
planned visit, would represent Georgia.

"If the Russian side refuses to participate, the
consultations will continue in a bilateral format,"
Menagarishvili said.

However, Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said in
Washington on Friday that Russia had not received any
proposal for three-way talks, Interfax reported.
"What's needed is not committees and commissions but
political will," Ivanov said.

Ivanov and Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov met Friday
with U.S. President George W. Bush and their U.S.
counterparts. Sergei Ivanov told reporters Moscow was
prepared to launch pre-emptive strikes against Chechen
rebels on Georgian territory, and he said Friday that
Russia gave U.S. officials "incontrovertible data
proving links between Georgian official
representatives and terrorists in Georgia," Interfax
reported.

Georgian officials said President Eduard Shevardnadze
received a letter from Bush on Saturday in which he
emphasized that the United States firmly supports
Georgia's territorial integrity and will help it fight
terrorism, but that stability in the region depends on
cooperation between Georgia and Russia.

Washington believes fighters connected with al-Qaida
are in Pankisi, and U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense
Paul Wolfowitz said Thursday that terrorists are
actively training and plotting in Georgia. "There are
countries like Yemen and Georgia, where we know there
are active terrorists, not just training camps," he
said.

The United States has backed Georgia's right to deal
with the problem on its own, and Bush on Friday
"stressed the importance of Russia protecting the
sovereignty, the territorial integrity of Georgia,"
White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said.

Sergei Ivanov said he saw "no parallel" between the
situations in Georgia and Iraq, asserting that the
terrorist threat from Georgia is clearer. "If we are
talking about Georgia, no additional proof supporting
the fact that terrorists are on its territory is
needed," he said.

The State Border Service said Friday that more than
500 Chechen rebels are concentrated in Pankisi.
Georgian police forces sweeping the gorge have
detained 26 people since late August -- 25 ethnic
Chechens and one man believed to be a national of an
Arab country carrying a fake French passport. Ten of
the Chechens, from a group of 12 detained Wednesday,
have been released, Georgian Interior Ministry
spokesman Paata Gomelauri said Saturday.

Also Saturday, Liberal Russia leaders criticized the
Kremlin's threats of possible military action in
Georgia and called for talks to end the war in
Chechnya, which they said has caused the tension
between Russia and Georgia.

n Bulgaria's government on Friday pledged $90,000
worth of arms to Georgia in a gift meant to help fight
terrorism.

The donation is intended to be used by Georgia's
security forces in their efforts against Chechen
fighters sheltering in the Pankisi Gorge.

(AP, Reuters)

http://www.civil.ge/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1032546892,4870,

Civil Georgia
September 21, 2002

Georgian Security Chief Met Condoleezza Rice

-"She assured me that whatever statements are made by
the Russian authorities, the United States would
strongly support Georgia's sovereignty and territorial
integrity."

(Tbilisi, Civil Georgia, September 20, 2002) -
Georgian National Security Council Secretary Tedo
Japaridze met with Condoleezza Rice, the assistant to
the US President for national security affairs on
September 20. The Pankisi problem was in the top of
the agenda during the meeting.

"She assured me that whatever statements are made by
the Russian authorities, the United States would
strongly support Georgia's sovereignty and territorial
integrity," Tedo Japaridze told the Rustavi 2 TV
channel after the meeting with the US official.

After the meeting the talks between US President
George W. Bush and Russian Foreign Minister Igor
Ivanov and Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov was
held. After the talks the both of the Russian
Ministers once again accused Georgia in harboring
terrorists.

Georgian National Security Council Secretary said that
his visit to the United States was the first attempt
to hold the trilateral talks on the issue between the
United States, Georgia and Russia. "At this time such
a talk was not held, but in the future representatives
of the three country will hold consultations," Tedo
Japaridze said.
http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?prd_id=160&msg_id=2736685&startrow=1&date=2002-09-22&do_alert=0

RF DEFENSE MINISTER SERGEI IVANOV CHALLENGES US
POSITION, ASSERTING THAT RUSSIA CANNOT SHOW
"TOLERANCE" WHEN BANDS OF TERRORISTS INFILTRATE INOT
ITS TERRITORY FROM GEORGIA

-Should such border crossings continue, we, and I put
it straight to my American counterparts, will
retaliate with the means at our disposal, including
preventive strikes

MOSCOW, 22 SEPTEMBER 2002. /From RIA Novosti
correspondent/. --RF Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov
challenges the position taken by the USA, in whose
opinion Russia should "show tolerance" in the
situation pertaining to Chechen militants' activities
in Georgia.

At the same time, Sergei Ivanov pointed out in his
televised interview to the host of the popular Vesti
news program, Evgeny Revenko, in general, Russia and
the USA share similar views on the situation.

"It is a proven fact that terrorists are making
inroads into Russia from Georgia's territory. Nobody
disputes that," the RF Defense Minister said. "There
are some differences in approaching the problem. The
American side recognizes the legitimacy of our
concerns and demands vis-a-vis Georgia, which is
reflected in a recent statement made by top-ranking US
military officials. At the same time, the United
States believe that we should show tolerance and carry
on with negotiations. We have never refused to
negotiate things, but when bands of terrorists keep
crossing our border from Georgia to kill Russian
citizens, blow up buildings, buses and helicopters we
cannot, and it is quite natural, show tolerance.
Should such border crossings continue, we, and I put
it straight to my American counterparts, will
retaliate with the means at our disposal, including
preventive strikes".
http://www.gazeta.ru/intnews.shtml?201670#201670

Gazeta.ru
September 23, 2002

Over 100 guerillas preparing to break through
Georgian-Russian border - Source

Up to 120 guerillas led by Chechen field commander
Mazhidov have concentrated near the Georgian community
of Barisakho, a source with the headquarters of the
North Caucasus regional department of the Russian
Federal Border Service has told Interfax.

"The guerillas are preparing to break through the
Georgian-Russian border near the Shandon Gorge in the
near future," the source said.

"The guerillas are armed with firearms and grenade
launchers," he said.  //Interfax

http://finance.yahoo.com