http://www.turkishdailynews.com/FrTDN/latest/for.htm#f9

Turkish Daily News
October 17, 2002

-PM Ecevit: 'We know that the US cannot carry out this
operation (Iraq) without us. That is why we are
advising that it abandon the idea. We are telling
(Washington) that we are worried over this matter'
-"We are the strongest country of the Middle East," he
told the NTV television late on Tuesday. "It is
essential that Turkey acts as the sentinel of the
region."
-Washington would look to Ankara for use of its air
space and bases if it chose to attack Baghdad in a bid
to oust President Saddam Hussein.

Izgi: Turkey will protect Mousol, Kirkuk and
Suleymania in the case of danger

Parliament speaker and deputy speaker indicate that
Parliament may decide to send troops to Northern Iraq
in order to protect Mousol, Kirkuk and Suleymania and
this will not be an invasion

Turkish Parliament speaker Omer Izgi stated that
Turkey may send troops to protect Mousol, Kirkuk and
Suleymania and said: "Turkey will definitely not be an
invader there. All Arabs must know this."

"There is no operation in Northern Iraq and there will
be no operation. Turkey had this issue on the agenda
after sept. 11 and decided how to act in case of
various developments." he said during his visit to
Konya.

Izgi mentioned Turkey's "casus belli" about the
establishment of a Kurdish State and said: "Turkey
will not allow a Kurdish state to be established.
Turkey would be involved in Mousol, Kirkuk and
Suleymania. We will prevent a Kurdish state from being
established considering that it will have rich oil
sources and that they might attack Turkey."

Parliament deputy speaker Murat Sokmenoglu, declared
that Parliament is going to make a decision on the
Iraq issue when necessary.

"If the conditions in Northern Iraq requires
Parliament to gather then Parliament may make a
decision on both sending troops as well as deploying
foreign troops in Turkey," Sokmenoglu said during his
visit to Istanbul.

Asked by reporters whether Parliament may take a
decision Sokmenoglu said that it is not on the agenda
but, "If the conditions require Parliament to gather
and make a decision on both sending troops as well as
deploying foreign troops in Turkey," Sokmenoglu said.

Sokmenoglu mentioned that Turkey is in favor of Iraqi
territorial integrity. Kirkuk is a Turkoman city.
Turkey will not accept a 'fait accompli' on Kirkuk.

"Attempts to open a second gate drove Kurdistan
Democratic party (KDP) leader Mesoud Barzani crazy.
Spoilt Kurds like spoilt Greeks get U.S. support and
have spoilt manners. They want to provoke us,"
Sokmenoglu said.

Foreign Ministry: Developments in Northern Iraq under
Turkey's control
`The commitments given to us regarding Iraq and
Northern Iraq are still valid'
'We wish the conditions do not make such an
intervention necessary for us'

The Turkish Foreign Ministry announced that the
developments in Northern Iraq are under Turkey's
control and Barzani's statements are not serving to
their own interests.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Yusuf Buluc evaluating
the latest developments in Northern Iraq said the
developments in Northern Iraq are under Turkey's
control adding, "The commitments given to us are still
valid," in the weekly press conference.

Responding to a question, "There are claims that
Turkey may intervene in the region before the U.S., is
this possible?" Buluc said, "We wish the conditions do
not make such an intervention necessary for us."

Buluc also stated: "This is not the time for polemic.
This is the time for being calm and making realistic
evaluations, and we should avoid steps which may pave
the way to deeper instabilities in the region."

Evaluating the statements of Kurdistan Democratic
Party (KDP) leader Massoud Barzani, Buluc said, "If
the aim of these statements are to make Turkey angry
or maybe threaten Turkey or Turkish people who make
contributions to the well-being of the Kurdish
community in Northern Iraq, it is wrong and is not
serving for their best interests."

Responding to a question, Buluc indicated: "We don't
agree with the evaluations saying that developments in
Northern Iraq are out of Turkey's control. We have
seen in our contacts with the U.S. officials at every
level that the political targets of both countries in
Iraq both regarding the territorial integrity of Iraq
and Northern Iraq are same."

Buluc stated the commitments given to us regarding
Iraq and Northern Iraq are still valid and added the
important thing is that the regulations in the region
should be temporary. It is natural that a formation is
necessary for the people living together in order to
meet their needs. Turkey supported this type of
formation and made it easy ensuring a security
umbrella around the region. But these regulations
should be temporary, this is important for us. The
representatives of factions in northern Iraq did not
make any statements which may be evaluated as contrary
to Turkey's expectations."

Buluc responding to a question on the U.S. Central
Command chief General Tommy Franks's visit, said
Turkish General Staff officials did not give any
information to the Foreign ministry on the issue.

Buluc also evaluated the U.S. Secretary of State Colin
Powell's letter which was read in the opening of the
regional Parliament in northern Iraq said: "We have
seen the letter. There is nothing wrong in the letter
for us."

Pearson says northern Iraq can't be left to Kurds
alone
Pearson: 'No single group can determine without regard
for others the future of its own role in Iraq nor that
of the other elements in Iraq. The United States has
not endorsed any document professing to be a
constitution for any group in Iraq'
PM Ecevit: 'We know that the US cannot carry out this
operation (Iraq) without us. That is why we are
advising that it abandon the idea. We are telling
(Washington) that we are worried over this matter'

The U.S. ambassador in Ankara attempted to ease
Turkey's concerns over the fate of Iraq's northern
part Wednesday, implying control of the region will
not be left to Kurds alone.

Two main Kurdish groups in northern Iraq have been
discussing a draft constitution for the region that
has been under their de facto control since the Gulf
War of 1991, escalating Ankara's fears for the
establishment of a Kurdish state just next to its
southern borders and prompting Prime Minister Bulent
Ecevit to say Turkey was drifting into a war against
its wishes.

"No single group can determine without regard for
others the future of its own role in Iraq nor that of
the other elements in Iraq. The United States has not
requested or endorsed any document professing to be a
constitution for any group in Iraq. And neither we nor
any other country has the authority to do such a
thing," said the Ambassador Mark Pearson at a
conference hosted by the Ankara-based Center for
Eurasian Strategic Studies (ASAM).

Pearson's remarks came a day after Ecevit said Turkey
was advising the United States not to attack Iraq,
because this would seriously harm both its economy and
result in huge casualties among its young population.

"We are the strongest country of the Middle East," he
told the NTV television late on Tuesday. "It is
essential that Turkey acts as the sentinel of the
region."

"We know that the U.S. cannot carry out this operation
(Iraq) without us," he said. "That is why we are
advising that it abandon the idea. We are telling
(Washington) that we are worried over this matter."

Pearson, on the other hand, warned of the threat posed
to Turkey by Iraq. He said Iraq had missiles that
could reach its neighbors' territory and chemical
weapons.

"There is credible evidence of a biological weapons
threat. Iraq has nuclear ambitions. Many people, in
fact most people, privately admit how much better it
would be if there were new leaders in Iraq. Many Turks
know this and say this. Turkey has suffered because
Iraq for 10 years has given contracts to try to buy
influence with states outside the region. Baghdad was
ready always to sacrifice its own citizens and its
neighbors' economies to escape its U.N. obligations.
For a decade, Iraq has squandered resources that
should have built a better economic future, including
with Turkey. If Baghdad ever actually cared about
Turkey, it would have disarmed years ago, and here in
Turkey now you would be far better off," he said.

The ambassador reiterated that the United States
categorically opposed any separate state in northern
Iraq and that the oil fields, concentrated in northern
Iraq's Kirkuk city, should be controlled by the
central government of Iraq.

In addition to its rich oil reserves, Kirkuk is of
importance for Turkey because it is a host to a
sizable Turkoman community, with whom Turkey enjoys
ethnic ties.

The U.S. ambassador said Turkoman participation would
be sought in determining the political fate of Iraq
and blamed the Iraqi administration for most of the
hardships faced by Turkomans in Iraq, as a majority of
Turkomans are living in the Saddam Hussein-controlled
part of Iraq.

"The future political structure of Iraq awaits the day
when all of Iraq's people are able to participate as
citizens of a single country in determining its
future. "All" means the Turkomens, of course, as well
as the Shiites, and the many other groups seeking to
create a more democratic peaceful Iraq."

Pearson also said the United States was keeping Turkey
informed about its stance, in response to criticisms
in Turkey that the Turkish government had no good
insight into U.S. plans on Iraq.

In meetings with Turkey in August and September, the
U.S. fully apprised Turkey of its views regarding
Iraq, he said and went on to list other gatherings
during which the U.S. brought Turkey "fully up to date
on our thinking."

"Turkey's government, of course, has made and will
make its own decisions about how to best address
Turkey's national, regional and international
interests. The U.S. fully respects Turkey's choices,
because we know they can be difficult."

Washington would look to Ankara for use of its air
space and bases if it chose to attack Baghdad in a bid
to oust President Saddam Hussein.

Diplomats say that although the main thrust of any
U.S. or coalition attack would come from the south
rather than Turkey in the north, the United States
would need to tightly control northern Iraq to spread
the threat to Saddam's forces and deny them refuge.

Turkey would probably ultimately need to co-operate in
such an operation to protect its own interests and
prevent chaos on its own frontiers. The option of
"staying out" might be a perilous one for Ankara.

The final decision, however, would be taken largely by
the powerful Turkish General Staff in co-operation
with the country's civilian leader. Ecevit, after the
November 3, polls is unlikely to be prime minister,
his Democratic Left Party trailing well short of the
10 percent hurdle to enter Parliament.

http://faith.yahoo.com