John Buckman wrote:
> SUGGESTIONS FOR A FUTURE AOLSERVER
>
> The "state of the art" is, I think, happening in the javascript world,
> with things such as node.js. If the aolserver community were really
> interested in getting new users, making it a top notch
> embedded-javascript web server would be a way.  I'm not sure this makes
> any strategic sense (nor that I need it), but there you go...

I'm far from the first person to chuckle at how netscape introduced
server-side javascript 15 years ago, it pretty much vanished for a
while, and has now come roaring back as the next big thing.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Still, a "ns_spidermonkey" module would be a interesting project.

> The other area where "state of the art" thinking is occurring, is in
> scaling web sites to many, many machines.
>
> aolserver has some features to make that happen, but imagine if we had
> multi-machine ns_cache support, perhaps with a file system backup (ie,
> memcached)?

I was thinking about this also. There is a nsmemcache module for
naviserver, but it uses some of the C apis that have been changed
slightly in naviserver, so it doesn't work with aolserver, but it
shouldn't be difficult to port.

A version (not sure if it's the most current) is at
http://naviserver.cvs.sourceforge.net/naviserver/modules/nsmemcache/

Another bit of existing code to build a high-scalability cluster is the
Digital City extensions that the guys at AOL built sometime before 2006
(I don't know exactly when, just estimating based on timestamps) and I
believe ran some pretty big (for the day) sites on.  It looks like a
hidden treasure of functionality that never got the respect it deserved.
  Looking at the archives, there was some chatter about it on this list
back in 2007.  What's that french saying again? :)

It currently lives at http://code.google.com/p/nsdci/

> Also, support for sending an http page request to another machine (or
> pool of machines) would very handy, with a single http daemon handling
> them all with async io.

I don't think this would be difficult as things are now;  it would make
a nice piece of example code.

-J