> I was thinking about this also. There is a nsmemcache module for
> naviserver, but it uses some of the C apis that have been changed
> slightly in naviserver, so it doesn't work with aolserver, but it
> shouldn't be difficult to port.

memcached is lovely, but what makes ns_cache so fast is that it runs in-process
as a function call, and thus suffers no networking overhead.  If it were
database (or dbm) backed, that'd be great.

What I was thinking was using ns_cache on your own machine, but with a
background "sync" thread that informed other aolserver instances of changes, so
the various aolserve's ns_caches stayed in sync.

That'd be small and compact, and fairly foolproof.

I currently use BerkeleyDB for this on bookmooch, but the multi-machine syncing
in bdb is very heavyweight and confusing as all hell, but it is at least
peer-to-peer, so new aolserver instances can come die or come up, and in theory
it all works. But.. the zero-latency of a function call cache lookup (vs
memcached) is so crazy good that it makes it worth it.

With MoodMixes, I use ns_cache to do several hundred lookups per html page,
when running pages in non-english (ie, each phrase is looked up).  The network
latency of a network-based cache wouldn't really work, unless I go the
much-more-complicated route of massive async concurrent lookups.

The dci stuff appears to be nicely thought out, but personally I wouldn't use
it, as all the cache operations appear to be client/server, and thus incur a
latency overhead.

-john