Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 18:05:31 +0200
From: c...@rubylane.com
To: aolserver-talk@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [AOLSERVER] Null responses

Hi
I'm hoping there are still some subscribers to this list ;)
I'm trying to debug a strange condition we're seeing on a small percentage of
our connections: connections are being closed by the server without any
response being sent back on the connection (verified by looking at network
packet traces and inserting a logging transparent proxy between the client and
server).  The network packet pattern we see is:

<normal TCP setup - SYN, SYN/ACK, ACK>
Request data (in a single frame, or multiple), ACK
Then the connection is closed by the server after 10 - 70 ms, without any data
being sent, with a FIN/ACK (still getting confirmation on this - these logs are
from the other side of the man-in-the-middle proxy I'm using to get debugging
info).

For some of the failed requests, the server processing never gets as far as the
start of our Tcl code (a preauth filter that starts with an ns_log that doesn't
show up in the server log).

For others the request is processed normally and an access.log message written
indicating that a response was generated with HTTP code 200, but no packet
shows up on the network.
There is no pattern to the failed requests (sometimes requests for favicon.ico
fail), and retrying the exact request shortly afterwards often succeeds.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any advice on how to narrow
down the cause further?
We're running a slightly patched version of the last 4.5.2 rc, on Ubuntu
12.04.5 64bit on Amazon EC2 instances, with Tcl 8.6.1

Thanks
Cyan