On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 05:31:44PM -0700, Don Baccus wrote:

> (contrary to an opinion stated in a previous post, the request
> processor implementation is efficient, and isn't an indication that
> the implementer didn't understand AOLserver,

That isn't what I said, Don.  There's nothing in particular wrong with
the way the OpenACS request processor filter works, but I recall
discussion by others here on the AOLserver list, years ago, about how
it could, essentially, be made to "play more nicely" with other
AOLserver filters, and why that might be useful.  I don't recall the
details, but their arguments seemed to make sense at the time.

Clearly OpenACS didn't need any other special AOLserver filters so it
was reasonable to do its request processor the way it still works
today, rather than something more general which might look better from
an AOLserver-centric rather than OpenACS-centric point of view.

My point here was merely that I'm fairly sure that whoever implemented
the ACS/OpenACS request processor approached the problem very much
from the point of view of, "AOLserver is just a tool to implement
OpenACS; what's one good way to make it do what I want for OpenACS?"
Nothing wrong with that at all, but it has different implications
than, "I use this AOLserver tool in a lot of different environments,
what seems to be the best way I can have it support what one of those
environments, OpenACS, needs?"

--
Andrew Piskorski <a...@piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/