Dear all,

                I'm the maintainer of the Windows Port of OpenACS.

Recently (22/07/2011) I got the CVS HEAD version of Aolserver and compiled
it with Microsoft Visual Studio 10 for Windows 32 bit and Windows 64 bit.

I did this because I wanted to take profit of the mods introduced by Brian
and Gustav to handle the uploading of files (objects) too large.

Before that I was using the Aolserver version included in the tar ball
aolserver-4.5.1-src.tar.gz dated 2009-02-02.

Well. ehm... the version in the tar ball compiles and runs well under
Windows.

Not so for the version under CVS HEAD: many of the changes introduced have
been implemented with a careful eye only for *nix, and not for Windows.

By looking at the code I have the feeling that the interest in supporting
Windows is fading down.

To have things in perspective. please go to the ]project-open[ web site, go
to the download section and see how many people have downloaded the Windows
version

and how many have downloaded any of the other version.

I'm not a big organization, I cannot influence you, but I have to say I am
very sorry and sad for this. evolution.. Being so small I don't have the
energy to look at all your changes and additions and make sure they work
properly on Windows. If this trend continues I will be forced to generate a
sort of fork and incorporate, add the new changes, the new additions to my
code base on a case by case basis, driven by the actual needs.

Any opinion?

Thanks in advance,

Maurizio