tx everybody for the very useful input!

Using ns_returnfp is (for several reasons) not an option for us.

Recompiling tcl using

                --with-encoding utf-8

did not resolve the problem. This time I used AOLserver 4.5.1 / tcl8.5.10.

I gave it a try since some of our users do upload files using tools
such as WINSCP. Since these files would also need to be accessible
through the ]project-open[ file manager,  we need to come up
with a slightly more complex solution to detect files with special
chars.

./k