Fenton, Brian wrote:
Hi Jeff

congrats on all the great work. That all sounds super. A new
AOLserver release would be amazing, but maybe seeing as 4.0 was first
released 8 years ago, we could consider that it's about time for a
move to 5.0? Not wanting to get too Firefox-y about it, but I think
it would be good for the project.

I think that any new release would be benificial; but I'm a bit old-school about version numbers. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I get the monthly popup message for a new major version of FireFox.

Major versions = can break functionality in a non-backwards compatible way
Minor versions = can have fairly sizable changes and new features, but things can generally be expected to keep working
Point versions = small new features, bugfixes, no incompatible changes

I realize at least one of my changes can violate that, I'm hoping it's enough of an edge case to slide.

IMO, a 5.0 release is a chance to incorporate major changes, such as to the way that interps are iinitialized (there's some ideas from Jim on this somwhere). The stuff I've done so far I think is still in the point release realm.

-J