Hello, Con —

Thanks for the comment and link that you provided. As indicated in the Buzzfeed
news item, no one has any idea right now about how things will unfold over the
next four years.  However, the dictum from Trump will only affect scientists
employed by USDA, and so far as I can recall, they have never participated very
much with this discussion group.  In fact, with a few prominent and excellent
exceptions, they have had relatively little interface directly with fruit
growers, although they have provided valuable networking interactions with
university scientists and extension folks at professional meetings. In fact,
USDA scientists have always had more restrictions on releasing information to
the public than do university scientists.  Most of the scientists and extension
folks who have contributed to this discussion list have been employed by either
states or counties, usually in affiliation with our land-grant universities.

Theoretically, scientists employed by universities have great lattitude in what
they say and with whom they can speak because they are protected under the
concept of “academic freedom.”  However, the only real protections under
academic freedom apply to tenured faculty within universities, whereas other
employees, including most in extension, are often subjected to more pressure to
avoid contentiious statements or even contentious subject matter.  In many
universities within the US, scientists being hired to do applied work are now
being hired into non-tenured professional positions rather than into tenure
track positions as was the tradition over the prior 100 years. That means that
they no longer have the full "academic freedom” protections and could be
subjected to the same limitations on communications that Trump has announced
for USDA scientists if their university or extension supervisors should choose
to apply a gag order.

However, even tenured faculty really do not have complete “academic freedom”,
especially in the early phases of their careers.  Saying or publishing
information that puts your administrators in a bad light or generates push-back
from the public will often create so much tension (or reduction in funding and
future opportunities) that most scientists, even when tenured, will think
carefully about what they say, what subject matter they will investigate, or
what parts of their research they will eventually release. Thus, although we as
scientists like to believe that we are always in pursuit of the truth, those
who wish to remain employed will usually find that there are limits concerning
which truths they pursue and/or release to the public. So in reality, I’m
afraid that there really is no such thing as “pure science” or “untainted
facts.”  Nevertheless, I hope and believe that most of what we as scientists
produce has more credibility than the “alternative facts” that are now in vogue
in Washington.

One parting shot: Many of those who voted for Trump claimed to favor a strict
and narrow interpretation of our constitution. How ironic, then, that within a
few days of taking office, Trump is already limiting free speech among those
over whom he can exert direct control :)  Stay tuned, there will be much more
to come :(

Dave Rosenberger
Plant Pathologist (retired) at Cornell’s Hudson Valley Lab
Highland, NY