Yea, we try to be pretty hands-off with apple-crop, and I have gotten a
little lost in the thread this afternoon, but please let's not let this get
out of hand. Last thing I want to be is a moderator...

Thanks.

Jon

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Vincent Philion <vincent.phil...@irda.qc.ca
> wrote:

> You are missing the point. There is plenty of room for expressing your
> political and religious views in other forums.
>
> http://virtualorchard.net/applecrop.html
>
> “Discussion relating to all aspects of apple production from cultivar
> selection, tree growth and performance, rootstock development and testing
> to the development of sustainable production systems is welcome.”
>
> Vincent Philion, agr. M.Sc. IRDA.
>
> “an environment that once again values and rewards the entrepreneur”.
> Hopefully, there is room for the “environment” in your environment!
>

> Le 29 janv. 2017 à 16:28, Kurt W. Alstede <k...@alstedefarms.com> a écrit
> :
>
> Hello Fellow Horticulturalists and Farmers,
>
> I debated whether I should opine or not…there seems to be so little
> tolerance these days for alternative view points.  Yet, to suggest that
> politics don’t influence our businesses and farms would be not only a
> mistake but also a disservice to our goal of helping and supporting one
> another who grow apples.  What I can share with you with confidence as a
> full time family farm owner in New Jersey is that farming under the Obama
> administration was more difficult, more costly, and much more challenging
> than any other time in my 35 years of farming.  I have seen a steady
> increase in the direct costs associated with regulatory compliance as well
> as the amount of management time that I and my team spend simply making
> sure that our business can operate….none of which helps us grow a better
> apple for our customers.  We are only 10 days into the new administration
> and I can tell you that I look forward to the opportunity to advance our
> family business to the next generation in an environment that once again
> values and rewards the entrepreneur, hard work, rural values, and the risk
> that we all take each year as farmers.   I also look forward to a positive
> business environment that will allow us to expand our farm, purchase and
> preserve more farmland, employ more people, and stimulate the local economy.
>
> Simply stated….I am very excited!
>
> Best wishes for a successful growing season and may God Bless the United
> States of America.
>

> *Kurt W. Alstede*
> General Manager,
> Alstede Farms, LLC
> P.O. Box 278
> 1 Alstede Farms Lane,
> Chester, New Jersey 07930
> United States of America
>
> Tel:  908-879-7189 <(908)%20879-7189>
> Fax: 908-879-7815 <(908)%20879-7815>
> www.alstedefarms.com
>
> <image001.jpg><image002.jpg>

Jon Clements
aka 'Mr Honeycrisp'
University of Massachusetts Amherst Extension
UMass Cold Spring Orchard
393 Sabin St.
Belchertown, MA  01007
413-478-7219