Hal,

Question. As an enclosed-cabbed tractor ages, will the seal around the doors
wear out, or better yet, how do you verify the enclosed cab is providing the
protection you are after?  That might make an argument for wearing the
respirator in the cab, at some point during the life of the tractor.

Regarding the rest of calibration of the calibration discussion, you should be
able to separate tree-row volume from your calculations which use row width,
travel speed and gallons-per minute, to establish a gallon per acre application
rate.  All the growers we work with have variability in their row spacing.
Three things we do to address this include minor adjustments to travel speed,
flipping over/turning on or off spray nozzles, and use of spray control
systems.  So, lots of ways to skin that cat, but we finish and think we have it
set up correctly, we verify by hanging those water/oil-sensitive cards in the
trees and see if we are satisfied with the coverage.

I would never trust a site line on a spray tank and it is easy to put more
water in a tank than what a tank is labeled to hold. Think about any water
bottle, the 30 fl. oz. mark is about an inch below the top of the bottle.  As
with a sprayer, if you fill it all the way up, there will be more water in it,
than what it is labeled to hold.  A good way to check is to calculate the GPM
flow of the hose you use to fill your sprayer with, then just set a timer to
accurately fill your tank.  This will help you be sure you are putting the
correct amount of water in the tank, before you run it out through your control
block.

Another helpful website is http://sprayers101.com/airblast101/

Several years ago we had some money from EPA to go calibrate sprayers.  We
worked on dozens of spray scenarios and found applicators were applying 52%
more water, on average, than what they were reporting.  The number of broken
nozzles, missing screens, etc. was amazing.  So at the very least, regardless
of what method you use, calibration helps address some of the basic maintenance
needs of a sprayer, which is helpful in preventing breakdowns during that first
primary scab infection at green tip.

Thanks,

Peter

=============================