George, I can't build anything straight, so I refrain from giving advice on
trellis construction!

But, we all might find this information useful:

Constructing a vineyard trellis, Paul Domoto

http://www.prairiefirewinery.com/Cellar/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Vineyard-Trellis-Construction.pdf

How to Build Orchard and Vineyard Trellises - Book

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Vineyard+Trellis_detail_ABT.php

Orchard and Vineyard Trellis Construction: Part 1

http://blog.kencove.com/orchard-and-vineyard-trellis-construction-part-1/

TALL SPINDLE ORCHARD SUPPORT SYSTEMS

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/neworchard/english/apples/9trellis.html

Experiences with Support Systems for the Tall Spindle Apple Planting System

http://nyshs.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/1.Experiences-with-Support-Systems-for-the-Tall-Spindle-Apple-Planting-System.pdf

Trellis Support Systems for High-Density Apples

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/expo/proceedings/2017/TreeFruit%20Weather.%20Trellis%20Support%20Systems%20for%20High-Density%20Apples.pdf

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 2:39 PM, George Greene <cortla...@icloud.com> wrote:

> David and All:
>
> I remember someone burying 5 foot pieces of telephone poles, cross-wise,
> perhaps 3-5 feet deep at the end of a row.  Most of the trellises I built
> in Biglerville PA survived.
>
> I did have a Geneva Double-Curtin grape trellis fail when, after a big
> wind storm flipped up one side of the Double-Curtin grape trellis, the
> terrific imbalance caused the posts to snap off.
>
> Come on where are all of the experts like Jon Clements or others who are
> the experts.  I thought that one (or by now several) states had Extension
> Bulletins on this subject.
>
> Be well, George
>
> On Mar 31, 2017, at 2:04 PM, David Kollas <kol...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
> Kurt and Mo:
>
> Thank you for your comments.
>
> If pull-out is the reason for discarding the Duckbill anchoring method, I
> wonder if a larger model would
> overcome that.  The largest Duckbill model is about 12 inches long.  A
> second line of “duckbills”, also by Foresight
> Products, is called Manta Ray, and is made for increased resistance,
> installed with hydraulic jackhammer.  There
> are also options for stoney soils  (ductile iron, hot-dipped in zinc,
> rather than the standard aluminum).  However,
> searches of company websites, and telephone contacts, have been short on
> pertinent,applicable value in my recent
> efforts.
>
>     The thought of trying to put auger-type anchors in my stony land does
> not appeal to me, and driving
> posts has never attracted me either.  Channel iron does seem worth
>  trying, but I am hoping to find something
> I could get really excited about.
>
> David
> Kollas Orchard, CT

> George Greene