Hello Doug - -

I’m surprised no one has jumped into this yet -

I'll take a swing at  it, be assured others will hold different opinions -

So - I think all would agree that different varieties have different growth
habits and so respond in differing fashion to manipulation - so, ‘one size fits
all’ doesn’t totally apply - that said, fruiting spurs develop on two year old
wood - if you remove all the 1 year old wood you push fruiting back a year - -

When your trees were dug they lost a percentage of their roots - it’s generally
appropriate to reduce the top to ‘balance’ the shoot/root ratio -

Remove any limbs/twigs that are too low for your system - - and also any with
poor crotch angles that cannot be compensated for by spreaders/tying/etc

Then it’s a matter of evaluation - is there a manipulation or would no
manipulation result in blooming/fruiting spurs next year in the ‘sweet volume’
where you want to see fruit? - - here’s where the difference between Golden
Delicious and Fuji (for example) is huge - Goldens will develop spurs on two
year old wood near the trunk while Fuji is much less likely to - - managing
these situations is why horticulturalists make the big $$$

Anyway - for a ‘one size fits all’ recommendation, after the above, remove the
2-4 largest branches - consider bending the ones you leave if they reach into
the next tree’s space or into the drive road -

regards  -

David Doud - once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express...
1/2” green, rain, mud, bah -