Hi!

Won’t answer about SBFS, but hopefully someone will. ;-)

My 2 cents for other disease stuff:

2) Fire blight
     Why is Regulaid specified as a penetrant adjuvant for use with
streptomycin applications during bloom?  Does it have unique characteristics
that make it better for this purpose than other penetrants such as LI700?

We don’t have Regulaid, but I can tell you substituting for LI700 doesn’t work
for Kasumin. Never tried with Strep.

We had reduced efficacy when LI700 was mixed with Kasumin.

     If grower is applying captan at same time, has much strep efficacy is lost
by not adding the penetrant to the mix to avoid captan phytotoxicity?

It’s interesting you mix strep with fungicides considering this should reduce
strep efficacy:

Goodman, Robert N., 1964: Compatibility of streptomycin with some fungicides
and insecticides. Plant Dis Reporter: 180-181

     If there is none or even minimal active fire blight in the orchard, is
there reason to spray strep after hail damage?

I see none whatsoever.

 My take on it has been to not bother as long as you are just cutting fire
blight out, and that it is more important to remove fire blight as soon as
possible.

I didn’t change my opinion since we wrote that about 10 years ago. But this
question keeps coming back.

Toussaint, V., et V. Philion. 2007. Natural Epidemic of Fire Blight in a Newly
Planted Orchard and Effect of Pruning on Disease Development. In XI
International Workshop on Fire Blight 793, 313‑320. ISHS.

    Do we all agree that strep provides protection for a flower for about 2-3
days?

Yes. But since the flower has a finite life and gets more difficult to colonize
as it ages, there is no point in respraying the same flower.

  Though I can imagine scenario with temps around 90F where a single cohort of
flowers could be vulnerable to a second fire blight infection period after
receiving a strep application.

I can’t. Show me how this is possible!

Bye for now,

Vincent Philion, agr.