Hello Fellow Growers,

We have found that drastically changing customer demographics have forced
changes upon us that we never could have dreamed of even 10 years ago.  I
believe that the region of the country that you are in largely dictates the PYO
rules that you need to have.  35 years ago we encouraged sampling while you
were picking, then we evolved into not encouraging it, now we don’t allow it.
We discovered that PYO largely became TYO or EYO (Take Your Own and Eat Your
Own).  We have responded by creating an admission system and not allowing
eating until the crops have been paid for.  We enforce the eating rule much as
the state police do the speed limit on the interstates…if you are only 10 over
no problem.  If you are really speeding then we enforce.  Indeed we all want to
provide an inviting environment for our customers.  There are a lot of
different ways to accomplish that depending upon where you are located.  What
works for you where you are located is what is most important.

Best wishes for a successful fall PYO season!

Farmer Kurt

Kurt W. Alstede

General Manager,

Alstede Farms, LLC

P.O. Box 278

1 Alstede Farms Lane,

Corner 84 County Route 513 S. (Old Rt. 24)

Chester, New Jersey 07930

United States of America

Tel:  908-879-7189

Fax: 908-879-7815