Steven,
This is off point, but as an aside, I have found suckers (Bud 9) to weaken
when sprayed with the herbicide Chaparral. This is a pre emergent but is
labeled for suckers on apple. The effect is a severe weakening of the
sucker roots and they are very easy to pull a couple of weeks after the
spray. This is only anecdotal evidence and my personal experience.