What has worked for me is too stratify the seeds at 1 degree C. in spagnum moss
for at least 10 weeks, making sure they stay moist, then remove the seed coats
and transfer to clear plastic containers that allow light to hit the seeds, but
not strong light,  at room temperature, shortly the embryos turn green and
start to grow the radicle, after the radicle is about an inch, transfer to
small pot with radicle in the soil and the cotyledon sticking out, then place
under florescent lamps about 2 inches away from bulb, use a heat mat and make a
growing chamber to keep humidity in, at that stage the start to grow with
vigor, after they reach 6 inches transfer to styrofoam cups and move under my
1000 watt grow lamp  for several weeks, move plants outside on nice days to
harden them off, then plant in nursery in mid April, prune off all side shoots
as the tree grows (every 3-4 days) to put energy into the tops. This method has
has made many seedling grow 6=7
 feet in one season about 70 nodes. (they look like whips with no limbs)  the
idea is to get the growing tip past the  juvenile period quik,  Then graft the
tip to a limb graft on a mature tree that has been prepared the year  before.By
this method the limb graft  will fruit in about 2 years. This is not hard to
do, and I encourage others to breed new varieties , I have been very
successful, with 7 new varietys now being sold to the public. only trouble is
that older varieties  are hard to sell as my customers prefer the new
ones.There is a huge market for variations of Honey Crisp. I am not waiting for
a commercial nursery to wake up. Lee Elliott, Cider Hill Nursery, Winchester
Illinois.
On Mon, 1/5/15, apple-crop-requ...@virtualorchard.net