Hi Dave,

I've wondered about this. In several of our orchards. All of the epiphytes all nearly have 100% of the population strep resistance even at the start of the season, so in theory no applications of strep would just as bad as several. The predominance changes over the season and it makes me wonder if one of the species that comes in later in the season is more like to transfer the plasmid. Also, feel like there probably has to active cankers or shoot blight to get some Ea present before the transfer could occure. The other bacteria seem to be better epiphytes and it's getting hard to even get Ea on shoots in Kiersten's experiments. We do need more seasons of data though.

One theory about how strep resistance develops (and I think this is still valid) is that the initial selection for resistance is not in Erwinia, but rather in other bacteria that exist in the orchard environment. These other bacterial species may then pass on the strep-resistance genes to Erwinia because bacteria have mechanisms for transferring useful DNA (i.e., DNA that enhances survival) from one species to another. When strep is applied to apple and pear flowers in springtime, the over-all bacterial populations on leaves and in soil are still rather low because bacterial population build slowly as plants and soil warm up. Therefore, there is less selection pressure for resistance in the non-Erwinia species when strep is applied during bloom as compared to after bloom. Bacterial populations in the orchard environment increase very rapidly as temperatures rise, so summer applications of strep impact a much larger universe of bacteria and therefore are presumed to be more likely to trigger resistance that can later be transferred to Erwinia.

--
Kerik D.  Cox, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology Section

E-mail: kd...@cornell.edu
Faculty Office: (315) 787-2401
Fruit Pathology Lab: (315) 787-2402
FAX: (315) 787-2389